5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Cold Start Issue Fix....35.00

Old 06-22-2012, 06:12 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cold Start Issue Fix....35.00

So for the last 6 months I've been pulling my hair out over this cold start issue. Everything was pointing at injector failure and I was in denial as the truck would run flawless after it started. So this is what I did..... Prior to installing a new fuel filter I put a full can of Seafoam and 2 ounces of Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant in the filter canister and installed my new filter. I tried to start the truck and needed to shoot it with ether to get it to start, BUT after sitting for 5 hours it fires right up! Again, again, and again it has started! I could'nt get this thing to start after sitting for 10 minutes until now! So what I'm saying here is before you throw injectors in at $4000.00 bucks try the seafoam/lucas mix and see if it helps. I can only assume I had dirty or clogged injectors. Now I'm not sure if it's temporary or not but I plan to run the Lucas Lubricant as an additive and hit it with Seafoam a couple times a year in the tank as a preventive maintanance.
I'm crossing my fingers guy's and hope this works for me and perhaps for you!
Lucas 11.90
Seafoam 6.92
Filter 22.00

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

UPDATE........it sat for 9 hours and I went out this morning AND IT FIRED RIGHT UP!

Last edited by hoofdoctor; 06-22-2012 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-22-2012, 08:38 AM
Site Sponsor - Mighty Diesel
Received 213 Likes on 200 Posts

had to be something it cleaned out. im sure glad it worked for you.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:07 AM
Diesel Fan

Thanks Pap! I hope it's not temporary, right now I'm excited and have some hope!

Old 07-02-2012, 06:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you for posting this my 03 cummings has been sitting for over 2 months the truck would only start when it was cold once it was hot it would just crank forever then it got worse woundnt start with out spraying it had it in the shop checked everything tested fine all pumps and pressure they couldnt find anything wrong with it I read your post yesterday thought couldnt hurt to try had to spray it to start it drove it till it was hot brought it back home waited about 20 mins went back out it started right up i thought it was a fluke so waited 2 hours started again to my suprise i drove it too work today no problems at all so thank you very much i have my truck back now like you said i hope its not temporary but it does give you hope

Old 07-02-2012, 07:23 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by Randy03
thank you for posting this my 03 cummings has been sitting for over 2 months the truck would only start when it was cold once it was hot it would just crank forever then it got worse woundnt start with out spraying it had it in the shop checked everything tested fine all pumps and pressure they couldnt find anything wrong with it I read your post yesterday thought couldnt hurt to try had to spray it to start it drove it till it was hot brought it back home waited about 20 mins went back out it started right up i thought it was a fluke so waited 2 hours started again to my suprise i drove it too work today no problems at all so thank you very much i have my truck back now like you said i hope its not temporary but it does give you hope
Randy03.......As much as I don't want to say it the dam thing wouldn't start this morning for me! Had to shoot it with spray again SOOO I repeated the process only I re-used the same filter and now it starts again!?!? The only thing I can tie into this is I ran it down low on fuel where the light came on and there may be water or dirty fuel in the tank. This was when it all went south again so I'm trying to keep the tank at a half or better. I'm leaving for South Dakota on Saturday the 7th pulling my 3 horse gooseneck so she's gonna get a work out. I did put an entire can of seafoam into the tank this time while 1/2 full also! Keep me up to date on your progress Randy. I will post when I see how my trip goes!!!

Old 02-21-2013, 11:25 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by hoofdoctor
Randy03.......As much as I don't want to say it the dam thing wouldn't start this morning for me! Had to shoot it with spray again SOOO I repeated the process only I re-used the same filter and now it starts again!?!? The only thing I can tie into this is I ran it down low on fuel where the light came on and there may be water or dirty fuel in the tank. This was when it all went south again so I'm trying to keep the tank at a half or better. I'm leaving for South Dakota on Saturday the 7th pulling my 3 horse gooseneck so she's gonna get a work out. I did put an entire can of seafoam into the tank this time while 1/2 full also! Keep me up to date on your progress Randy. I will post when I see how my trip goes!!!
Quick follow up.

The truck sat most of this winter due to not wanting to shoot it with ether and the total bull **** cost of diesel fuel!
That being said the truck did not ever recover from it's non starting issues until yesterday when I had 2 new injectors intalled. It started this morning at -10 without being pluged in!
Now let's see how long she goes before I need to stick 4 more injectors in!

Old 02-21-2013, 06:24 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

I never let my 06 go below 1/4 and I change the fuel filter every oil change. Also every fill up I put 8 ounces of cetene booster/injector cleaner from power service. Its a silver bottle witj red cap and once a month a put a couple of ounces of howes diesel treatment to help lubricate everything.. your and then during the winter I go to the white bottle cetene booster cause it has anti gel additive, but run the howes probably every other fill up during the winter.. I haven't had issues except for my stupid batts...