Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/)
-   -   Lift Pump problems I think (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/96860-lift-pump-problems-i-think.html)

simman22 05-29-2012 05:45 PM

Lift Pump problems I think

OK guys i have been searching all day and I havent found a description like mine. My truck has ran fine on a 700 mile road trip pulling a boat and this morning on the way to PT (army) and on my way home it just died and would restart for a few seconds and sputter off again. I think it is the lift pump but the kicker is that i can hear the lift pump cycle but it will not fill the fuel filter bowl. I had an 1/8th tank so i was hoping the gauge was off but i added a few gallons and still nothing. I tried to search every scenerio but no one has the lift pump still making noise but not moving fuel. Any help would be greatly appreciated before i buy the new fass system. The only mods i have are CAI, 5" straight pipe, and a diablo sport which i de-tuned it as a first step.

Whit 05-29-2012 05:50 PM

ye rfuel pump is in the tank and they are plastic crap, yes I have seen it where they sound good and actually will pump fuel but cannot make very little pressure at all

I would put an after market pump outside the tank if it were me, personally I run a FASS pump the one without the filters and love it

simman22 05-29-2012 05:54 PM

Thanks for the quick reply! So what is making the noise under/on the back of the fuel filter canister? On that note there is NO noise coming from the tank haha

Whit 05-29-2012 07:02 PM

maybe yer fuel pump is on the back side of the filter........not sure when they went to the tank I thought it was 03???

anyway if yer pump is mounted there that is good news because its easier to do the after marker pump

simman22 05-29-2012 07:09 PM

thank god! I did find a post that stated if the lift pump dies it wont bypass fuel...is there truth to that because im hoping it just died today and didnt damage the cp3!

Whit 05-29-2012 07:22 PM

I wouldnt drive it unless you can prove pressure to the CP3

simman22 05-29-2012 07:26 PM

it wont stay running but i wouldnt anyways. Thanks for all the help and i will keep you updated and anyone else while i continue working on her

Rob_wells06 05-29-2012 08:11 PM

I got a airdog forsale. I'll give you a good price since you're a fellow soldier.

Red_Rattler 05-29-2012 08:17 PM

They moved to the tank in 04.5 and yes the lift pump is dead and no you didnt damage anything like the old VP days. Also if you cant afford a aftermarket lift pump GenosGarage.com sells the factory 03-04 canister style pump. Pretty much only place to get them and they are very affordable.

Red_Rattler 05-29-2012 08:17 PM

They moved to the tank in 04.5 and yes the lift pump is dead and no you didnt damage anything like the old VP days. Also if you cant afford a aftermarket lift pump GenosGarage.com sells the factory 03-04 canister style pump. Pretty much only place to get them and they are very affordable.