Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/)
-   -   leaky injectors (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/94964-leaky-injectors.html)

Summers5.9 04-21-2012 04:31 PM

leaky injectors

so my truck has been hard to start lately and this morning i noticed a significant amount of white smoke on start up im assuming this is the result of 1 or more leaky injectors, would this be correct? if so is there a specific location where they leak? what kind of shop could i take them to to have them looked at? i appreciate all the help.

ROCKITV8 04-21-2012 07:33 PM

sounds like it, I am going through the same thing now. I should get my truck back Mon. I am having all injectors rebuilt by a shop in Salem, Ohio

Summers5.9 04-21-2012 07:39 PM

What's the price tag on that gonna be

ROCKITV8 04-21-2012 08:22 PM

I am gonna guess parts and labor, about $4000.00 :s:

Summers5.9 04-21-2012 10:40 PM

Damn that's crazy

wildbill 04-21-2012 11:59 PM

All you need is an ohm meter that has a fine setting, you can find out which one that has a shorted solenoid. If you the injectors are still the originals, and have more than 80,000 miles, change the one, and another will soon follow.

Summers5.9 04-22-2012 06:39 PM

would there be any other cause for the hard start, and white smoke? if not is there a way to check to see wich injector is leaking, the ohm meter would tell if the injector is bad but i dont have a miss, no cel either

cerberus60 04-22-2012 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Summers5.9 (Post 886206)
would there be any other cause for the hard start, and white smoke? if not is there a way to check to see wich injector is leaking, the ohm meter would tell if the injector is bad but i dont have a miss, no cel either

The ohm meter will only tell you if the solenoid is good. It would need to be checked cold and warm to make sure it is good. Solenoids generally will not cause hard starts, white smoke, etc.

The internals of the injector wear. When they do they let fuel into the cylinder at the wrong time hence the white smoke. The worn internals also bypass too much fuel on startup causing it to take longer to build rail pressure before the ECU will fire the injector.

Be bery leary of rebuilding injectors, its a crap shoot. You should be able to source genuine new stock Bosch injector for around $350 per. If your even half way handy the install is not that complicated.

Do NOT buy remans if you value your engine. Track record sucks and engine damage is high probability.

Summers5.9 04-24-2012 11:26 AM

Ok last night I took out one of my injectors and cleaned
it up a bit, put it back in and let it sit overnight. Here in indiana
it got pretty chilly last night about 40 degrees I think, went to
start the truck this morning and it fired right up, didn't even
have it plugged in, would it be a good idea to go ahead and clean them all

MTmega 04-25-2012 04:00 AM

I don't know about the midwest and east coast pricing but I just had all six replaced less than a month ago. Right at 2500 for genuine Bosch new stock and install. I did all connector tubes and had the valves run for that price. 4000 seems like a giant hose job.