5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

lag??

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 06:15 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default lag??

ok ive got a question, this is my first cummins and ive only had her less than a yearl. my question is why does it seem to lag wen i try to take off from a stop, like if im stoped and give it like 3/4 throttle it takes a sec for the rpms to climb and the truck to pick up speed, she starts rolling wen i gass it but it takes a sec for the engin to rev up n really get going, i kno i shuldnt but i keep comparing it to my past fords 7.3s which if i tapped the gas they would jump, my dodge runs great and hauls *** and pulls like a some bitch but the take off concerns me, idk if its juts how these engins are or if ive got a problem.

sorry if i sound dumb but like i said ive never owned a cummins b4, im not new to diesels but i am new to the cummins

Old 04-07-2012, 08:04 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

change your fuel filter, air filter, and if u have a stock intake tube remove the baffles. does it have a factory exhaust? if its got a muffler and cat. remove em and get a aftermarket muffler if u dont like the noise. IF its still laggy. check ur codes. turn ur key. ON OFF ON OFF ON and write the numbers down as u see them. then post em up or plug em into google or something. if there are no codes and u still are laggy then. idk get bigger injectors and a bigger turbo. or a tuner

Old 04-09-2012, 08:11 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

ive already gutted the intake, new fuel filter and air filter, muffler removed, cat is still there tho, i checked for codes and there isnt any, she runs really strong, maby im driving my self mad cuz i try comparing it to my old v8 diesels, this cummins stock walks all over any suped up powerstroke ive ever owned

Old 04-09-2012, 09:15 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

sounds like it runs great. ur just wanting more outa it

Old 04-09-2012, 09:50 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigred7.3
ive already gutted the intake, new fuel filter and air filter, muffler removed, cat is still there tho, i checked for codes and there isnt any, she runs really strong, maby im driving my self mad cuz i try comparing it to my old v8 diesels, this cummins stock walks all over any suped up powerstroke ive ever owned
What is you definition of "supped-up" ???? Just wondering...

You pickup should realy not have any lag to it.. They should also responed good no matter how much or little throttle you give it.. Those years of 5.9L are the best for power, AND they are quite. That in my book is a BIG pluse. If i were to pick up a dodge it would HAVE to be a 04 or newer.. Cant stand the load noise of the other years.. athough with the 12V P-Pump the noise is almost worht it!!!

Old 04-19-2012, 08:07 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

powerstroke cowboy- i was refering to my dads 7.3 with stage 2 injectors and bigger turbo but that was probably not a good comparison,

Old 04-25-2012, 07:30 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Is it an auto or manual? I'm guessing auto, what's the ring and piņon? Might be tall gears...

Old 04-26-2012, 07:14 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Sounds like normal turbo lag and torque management (computer software)...

Mine will do that, lags until it builds boost then launches. If I'm getting on it from a light (without slipping the clutch), it will typically make it several feet then start slipping the tires. It all about programming and whether the torque management software is turned off.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:39 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like everyone is on it. The 6.0 and 6.4 Fords have the same problem stock. It might be the way it is programmed. Your dodge might just have to let the turbo start spooling before it will take off. My 05 pulls right out so, if it bothers you this much, take it to a diesel shop and let them take a look.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:04 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

The torque management software is really meant to protect the drive train during launches under load...to prevent max torque/shock on a trans/drive line that's not fully engaged. I'm pretty sure that's what the OP is experiencing...and I want to say its more pronounced on the auto-equipped trucks.

A lot of programmers will remove the TM programming for that very reason, it causes lag and that makes it slower. I know that it really does have an effect. I ran the SmartyJR default TM setting and I smoked the tires the first time I took off from a red light...I was not prepared for, or expecting, the surge to come on that soon. I have since put the TM back to stock as it makes it much more manageable to drive on slippery roads, but it does cause it to smoke more because it still fuels the same, but the boost isn't there.

I would suspect its normal...not sure if the one company still offers the limited time install of their software, sort of a try before you buy deal? Might try that and see if that wakes it up...

The following users liked this post:
H.R.D (05-01-2012)

Quick Reply: lag??