5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Phoenix friction performance clutches?? Valair??

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 01:01 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phoenix friction performance clutches?? Valair??

My clutch is running by a thread and looking to get a nice street clutch for a good price, looking into the stage 5 organic that Phoenix friction offers and it sounds too good to be true, has anyone ran these clutches? Or heard about them? Trying to find the best clutch for the money, south bend is too expensive right now and valair is up there. I plan on running a 64 phatshaft in the next year with 90s and Probly some sort of stack. I also plan on towing heavy occasionally, and don't exactly want a dual disc, seems like more parts to break for the numbers I plan on running. Any advise would be helpful thanks

Old 03-04-2012, 01:12 AM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts

If your towing heavy with that power then dual disc is the best way to go

Luke

Old 03-04-2012, 10:11 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I will suggest going with a dual disk first It's way cheaper to spend the extra bucks up front on a dd then smoke a couple singles. I learned this lesson after smoking two singles that cost way more than a dd. I have a valair dd cearmic on my 2000 and it works good for towing. Im going to put a organic in my 06 I think just because my wife is gonna be driving it.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:26 AM
Diesel Fan

What caused you to burn up the singles? Which ones did you run? And how does the dual disc ceramic differ from the single disc ceramic when towing? I was hauling hay (20k lbs) in a friends truck with the valair single ceramic and the engagement is horrible. I don't plan on doing any kind of crazy launches or sled pulls, I have plenty experience driving a stick with high torque engines so I won't burn it from engagement/disengagement, I just need the holding power when under load, and I don't want my wife to snap a u joint trying to take off to get groceries, I like the looks of the dual organic from valair, but I believe I'll exceed the horsepower rating easily with the mods I'm going to run

Old 03-04-2012, 11:35 AM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts

Once a single disc starts to slip it will keep getting worse. A good towing dual disc is designed to slip some to keep engagement smooth.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:58 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I smoked a centerforce and a valair 13" upgrade crm/klvr. Both were due to my driving and a leaking input seal. A dd ceramic and a single ceramic are totally different a dd is smother. My wife is 5"4" and has no problem driving my 00. The only area I don't like the dd ceramic is when backing sometimes it gets a little jumpy but not to bad.
I agree with Luke a dd is designed to have slip without destroying the clutch

Old 03-04-2012, 03:16 PM
FormerVendor
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

more plates = more slip. Slip is what you need for towing. Single disc ceramics are no slip and not recommended for towing.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:31 PM
Diesel Fan

Well its my daily driver 90% of the time so I won't be towing too often, I understand the concept of how more plates = more slip, but how much does your valair ceramic dd slip? I'm constantly in traffic so I want the smooth engagement of the organic, is this goal achievable with the 600 to 650 horsepower rating? or will I just have to deal with it being grabby?- ps nice run this weekend, I was the newbie asking about your black and silver 06, I ended up toasting the clutch on my run