5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

2004 5.9 wont smoke! help me

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 07:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 5.9 wont smoke! help me

Ha know how much you guys love them threads Just kidding ! I have a 2004 5.9 that im seeking to get 650 hp out of. Heres the upgrades I have already put into it. TST power maxx chip, Torque converter lock up switch and a suncoast tranny. and also an airbox out of a totaled twin turbo'd truck modded to fit mine ( with the stock airbox i was dumpin crazy smoke and could watch my fuel gauge go down )...no good. With this I am getting 536 hp and 1067 ftlb tor. on the dyno but i want more . i was thinking a twin turbo but that can get a bit pricy. anything else i can do to get a little more hp without clearin my wallet to nothin? injectors maybe? Something that i can get hp without jumping my torque so damn high that stuff starts breaking. also with the tuner hp and tor all the way up it smokes like a nuthead, any way to stop that? my local shop told me he could turn the rail pressure down a bit and that should help but ill lose some power. ??

Old 02-28-2012, 08:10 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

What turbo are you currently running? I wouldnt do anymore to the fuel side until you can clear up some smoke.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by MillerBoyzDiesel
What turbo are you currently running? I wouldnt do anymore to the fuel side until you can clear up some smoke.
im running stock turbo now but theres a boost fooler in the tst chip. i talked to the creator of tst and he said theres no need for a new turbo with his chip because of the fooler. i can run 55 lbs of boost with the stock turbo but only for 5 seconds. when i run the 1/4 mile i can't hold it to the floor the whole track i gotta let off to avoid blowing my turbo

Old 02-28-2012, 10:13 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

Sounds like you need a turbo in a bad kind of way. If not for the efficiency but for the peace of mind if you're worrying about over spinning your turbo. Best way to clear up smoke is to add more air for a cleaner burn; or just turn down the fuel until you have the air to burn the fuel. I wouldn't lower rail pressure... Poor atomization bc of low pressure could cause more smoke/heat than before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-28-2012, 11:24 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Larger Charger, Head Studs if you don't have them, Injectors and EFIlive and you'll get above 650 HP, theres already been a 5.9 Common Rail tuned to 500 HP with EFIlive and the only mod was a lift pump. Stock air filter, exhaust everything, just a lift pump upgrade. EFI live is crazy.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Youngblood
Larger Charger, Head Studs if you don't have them, Injectors and EFIlive and you'll get above 650 HP, theres already been a 5.9 Common Rail tuned to 500 HP with EFIlive and the only mod was a lift pump. Stock air filter, exhaust everything, just a lift pump upgrade. EFI live is crazy.
I thought that was only for the 06-07 cummins as of now? the EFIlive

Old 02-29-2012, 07:48 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Yeah EFI live isnt out for our trucks yet. You can make your hp goal without efi live but, you need to get some more air in the mix before you need to add more to the fuel side. You really need to consider head studs and upgraded valve springs, and lift pump upgrade aswell

Old 03-01-2012, 12:07 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh my bad, forgot they havent only released for the later CR 5.9's Well then instead of EFI live go with a SMarty PoD and a TS performance MP-8, with the other parts i suggested.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:15 AM
Diesel Fan

650 hp on efi live with a stock air filter and a lift pump???? i find that very hard to beleve not saying anyone is lieing just want to see some proof on that if itll do that to a stock truck im ebaying my smarty and quadzilla adraniline and moving on up to the EFI live

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

sorry ment 500hp not 650

Last edited by coalrollin06; 03-25-2012 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-25-2012, 09:11 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is proof, i saw the dyno sheet on another website, and if I had time I would try to go back and find it. Google it, it should not be to hard to find. Also, I think it was over 550hp

Quick Reply: 2004 5.9 wont smoke! help me