Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/)
-   -   1st issue in 250,000 miles! (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/88297-1st-issue-250-000-miles.html)

Lionhunt 12-22-2011 09:24 PM

1st issue in 250,000 miles!

I have an issue! I have owned diesels sence 96. I currently own a 2004 Dodge, 250,000 miles. This is my 1st issue with it. I was driving it and something snaped it the engine compartment, I lost all power and when I accelerated it sounded like metal against metal and could gain speed at all. I would let off the accelorator and the noise stopped, the truck kept running to get me home. Once i got home it wouldn't start again. No smoke or anything else. Does anyone have any thoughts on what may be the issue?
Thanks
Tim

Summers5.9 12-22-2011 09:57 PM

Did it lock up or will it at least turn over

Kainedogg 12-23-2011 07:30 AM

Not sure friend, but you may want to do a quick leak down test to see where the motor stands initially. My motor is so loud that if I could hear a "snap" under load, then my mind automatically goes to throwing a rod...or two. This is purely speculative however.

NadirPoint 12-23-2011 09:23 AM

The fact you went a quarter million miles with no problems at all is commendable, however loud unexpected noises followed by a dead truck are never a good sign.

Does everything under the hood still appear to be properly attached and facing the correct direction(s)?

steved 12-23-2011 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Lionhunt (Post 834354)
I have an issue! I have owned diesels sence 96. I currently own a 2004 Dodge, 250,000 miles. This is my 1st issue with it. I was driving it and something snaped it the engine compartment, I lost all power and when I accelerated it sounded like metal against metal and could gain speed at all. I would let off the accelorator and the noise stopped, the truck kept running to get me home. Once i got home it wouldn't start again. No smoke or anything else. Does anyone have any thoughts on what may be the issue?
Thanks
Tim

Almost sounds like transmission...a rod would make noise whether loaded or not...just something else to inspect...

lunk 12-23-2011 10:42 AM

turbo exsploded maybe just a guess

sillyneck 12-23-2011 03:34 PM

This all may seem elementry but I'll throw it out there.

How about something as stupid as an extremely clogged airfilter. Doesn't the wastegate lock open when it gets to a certain level of negative suction? That happened to my buddy's 04. sucked the filter down in the box. wastegate stays open... no boost.. no power. crazy sounds. new filter, reset the wastegate somehow? I wasn't there to see how that worked. Then it was normal again.

why it won't restart doesn't explain that.

Check your boost tubes as well, maybe one blew off.

Destroyed turbo?

If you broke major engine internals you'd think you'd see parts and oil :)