Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/)
-   -   Cummins not starting? (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/84505-cummins-not-starting.html)

SmokeStaxx 10-12-2011 03:47 PM

Cummins not starting?

New to the forum here, but I've been a religious reader these last couple weeks scouring the posts for solutions. I've got an 03 Ram 2500. Just put in a 6 pack of reman injectors (installed by a cummins mechanic). The truck ran great for about four days, although I noticed it was starting to hard start and worsened each time I fired it up until it just didn't fire without starting fluid. I read a ton of posts about the pressure relief valve, tubes not being torqued correctly, lift pump, lines not tightened etc. and they were all great places to look for troubleshooting a hard start. The one thing on all the diesel forums that I did NOT find however, was the FCA (fuel control actuator) being the cause of a no start. My mechanic and I troubleshot the CP3, lift pump, injector return, pump low psi return, pressure relief valve and FCA. The FCA did test bad on the fluid volume test, but I couldnt find any threads about this being the cause of a non-starting engine. I swapped the FCA with a buddys truck that was the same year and the truck fired with one crank. Got the new part on the way today for $110 from Cummins. SOOO, I just figured I would make a thread and throw it out there that the fuel control actuator CAN be the cause of a 5.9 not starting and definitely the cause of increased hard starting. Love all the threads, help and info you guys have given on this site! Keep rollin coal fellas :c:

Muchacha27 09-27-2012 04:12 PM

Same problem

I have a 04 3500 and I am having the same problem. I have replaced the fuel injector pump and the lift pump and nada. You think this may be my problem? I am so frustrated with my truck being down and it makes me cringe to start thinking about fixing it again.

thomas 78 10-13-2012 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by SmokeStaxx (Post 809100)
The one thing on all the diesel forums that I did NOT find however, was the FCA (fuel control actuator) being the cause of a no start. My mechanic and I troubleshot the CP3, lift pump, injector return, pump low psi return, pressure relief valve and FCA. The FCA did test bad on the fluid volume test, but I couldnt find any threads about this being the cause of a non-starting engine. I swapped the FCA with a buddys truck that was the same year and the truck fired with one crank. Got the new part on the way today for $110 from Cummins. SOOO, :c:

so the FCA was bad and did not throw the p0251 code? or a code?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by Muchacha27 (Post 942491)
I have a 04 3500 and I am having the same problem. I have replaced the fuel injector pump and the lift pump and nada. You think this may be my problem? I am so frustrated with my truck being down and it makes me cringe to start thinking about fixing it again.

dont the injection pump come with the new FCA on the back of it? and did you get it going yet?

hoofdoctor 10-14-2012 08:43 PM

I'm thinking about trying this! Been in denial about it being my injectors for some time now! Is the part connected to the filter housing? Looked it up on Rock Auto's site and can't find it!

thomas 78 10-15-2012 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by hoofdoctor (Post 949014)
I'm thinking about trying this! Been in denial about it being my injectors for some time now! Is the part connected to the filter housing? Looked it up on Rock Auto's site and can't find it!

it`s on the back of the cp3 with the electrical plugin. check on youtube some of those show where it is. it`s alot cheaper to "try" it`s gonna be my next try while i get money up for injectors