Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/)
-   -   5.9 cummins 24v hesitation when accelerating (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/83092-5-9-cummins-24v-hesitation-when-accelerating.html)

itzdano 09-16-2011 12:59 PM

5.9 cummins 24v hesitation when accelerating

2004 cummins 24v, the past few days i've noticed when idling, it spits and spudders, not all the time, also, when i put it into gear, and touch the pedal, it hesitates and the rpm's go up to about 2000, then it goes, as if, lack of fuel, then it gets a boost of fuel, and its fine, it act's if its not getting fuel when i touch the pedal, but then does,(only hesitates half a second) it does not die, (all though it has stalled out) but that seemed to go away after i replaced the air filter and fuel filter, im leaning towards maybe throttle position sensor? or?... im stumped.

kylemckay 09-17-2011 04:28 PM

I would get a scan tool hooked up to it and get it checked out before i went throwing parts at it. I havn't been able to fix anything on mine without the scan tool.

H.R.D 09-17-2011 04:38 PM

I would say TPS as well. Not sure if you can reset them on a CR like you can on a 24v. Some one with more in dept knowledge on CR's will chime in and help you out I'm sure.

itzdano 10-17-2011 07:27 PM

ive had a scan tool hooked up, says its under load when in park at idle? is that incorrect or normal? also, i replaced the sensor, still no luck, seems to only do it when i take my foot off the pedal, then reply my foot to the pedal, it hesitates for 3-4 seconds, like its floods itself out, then the rpms zoom to about 1500 and then it acts fine, maybe a bad iat sensor or map?

Growler 10-17-2011 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by H.R.D (Post 799808)
I would say TPS as well. Not sure if you can reset them on a CR like you can on a 24v. Some one with more in dept knowledge on CR's will chime in and help you out I'm sure.

I'll second that. I tried the apps reset on my 04 3500, didn't seem to change anything. I'm sure I'll be replacing mine soon. It's getting a new transfer case tomorrow. :ouch:

itzdano 10-18-2011 08:56 PM

yeah, its in the shop....again .. hopefully they figure it out, its pretty bad now, if i keep my foot on the pedal, it seems to run pretty good, then i take it off, and go to press it again, and it acts 'stupid', hesitates, then picks up outta no where it goes fine, changes tone in the idle, almost sounds like a sticking injector, then it releases, and u can hear it, or to me sounds like it releases, then it runs fine, still, always have the pedal problem where if i let off it, and go to apply my foot back on it, hesitates.
they can figure it out cause im stumped on trying to 'guess' what could be wrong.

will post results if they figure it out.

Topfive 11-15-2016 07:49 AM

Did it get figured out

Originally Posted by itzdano (Post 811295)
yeah, its in the shop....again .. hopefully they figure it out, its pretty bad now, if i keep my foot on the pedal, it seems to run pretty good, then i take it off, and go to press it again, and it acts 'stupid', hesitates, then picks up outta no where it goes fine, changes tone in the idle, almost sounds like a sticking injector, then it releases, and u can hear it, or to me sounds like it releases, then it runs fine, still, always have the pedal problem where if i let off it, and go to apply my foot back on it, hesitates.
they can figure it out cause im stumped on trying to 'guess' what could be wrong.

So what was the answer to the problem

CumminsCoalRoller24/7 11-16-2016 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by itzdano (Post 811295)

Fuel control actuator is my guess- hope they fix it quickly and correctly!

codyvette 07-09-2020 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Topfive (Post 1123163)
So what was the answer to the problem

I know this thread is old and I'm not the OP but my truck was doing the exact same thing and the fuel pressure actuator was the culprit. I had one laying around and it fixed it. Lucky day for me I guess.