Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/)
-   -   stock filter pressure? (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/75847-stock-filter-pressure.html)

Dieselholic 05-03-2011 09:15 PM

stock filter pressure?

im going to be getting an air dog 165 soon and im not sure how to plumb it. the directions say to go directly to the cp3 but im guessing i still need the fuel heater. i live in minnesota and it gets a bit cold here in the winter. i was wondering if you guys still go through the stock filter housing and use the stock filter with the system? what kind of pressure will the stock fuel filter handle? any help is appreciated!

biged681985 05-03-2011 10:42 PM

the reason you bypass the stock filter housing isnt because of the psi that goes through it. the airdog will only be pushing 15 psi still. the reason they say bypass the stock filter housing is because it is a restiction of flow. idk what people up north do about the cold climate and a fuel heater.

MarineOne 05-04-2011 12:55 AM

If you're not looking for major horsepower gains, run it through the stock canister not only for the fuel heater but for redundant filtration, then add a better filter to the stock canister.

If you have concerns about restriction put a big line kit on it.

-Kris

steved 05-13-2011 11:30 AM

If you run additive in the winter, the heater is not needed...if the fuel is going to gel, its going to gel in the lines and tank upstream of the filter anyway. The heater is only to prevent filter waxing.

I've ran temps down to -25*F, never had an issue without the OE filter housing and a FASS.

Dieselholic 05-15-2011 02:16 PM

so if i by pass the stock filter housing i would like to remove it but if i do that will the water in fuel sending unit through codes?

steved 05-15-2011 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Dieselholic (Post 753425)
so if i by pass the stock filter housing i would like to remove it but if i do that will the water in fuel sending unit through codes?

Removing the connector from the heater and WIF light do not cause a code to be popped. Remember there are return lines plumbed into the OE filter mount.

NadirPoint 05-15-2011 03:10 PM

I would keep the stock filter. It does not present any flow restriction. It will last alot longer because it will be downstream of the AD. My '07's fuel system sees three (3) filters, with the stock cannister in the middle. The OE in-tank pump has no problem pushing fuel through all three. Runs 11psi at idle, 9-10psi at cruise, and holds 5-6psi WOT.

The heater and WIF sensor are there for a reason(s). :w2:

Dieselholic 07-06-2011 10:37 PM

just got my air dog on and my fuel pressure at the cp3 is 28 psi. is that to much?

steved 07-07-2011 07:29 AM

I would get it closer to 15psi...anything over zero psi is sufficient for the CP3. I want to remember someone stating that anything over 15psi causes something in the CP3 to wear?

On that note, I hope my AD isn't putting out pressures like that...I only have the LP light, never reinstalled my gauge after my FASS died!!

Shaken71 07-07-2011 11:00 AM

SteveD
Aren't the FASS pumps covered by a lifetime warranty?
Did your LP light indicate your FASS was dying?