Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/)
-   -   gas in diesel (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/75699-gas-diesel.html)

hlawhorne7777 05-01-2011 09:14 PM

gas in diesel

HELP my wife just filled my 97 dodge diesel up with gas and then drove about 3-5 miles until it shut off. The mix is about 5gals. diesel and 30gals. gas. never had this problem before, should I put it in the shop or try to do it myself. Help:dang:

pukie370 05-01-2011 09:24 PM

big job. you have to get all the fuel out of tank and then flush lines, and then bleed fuel injectors. the only hard part is pulling fuel tank. but if you like geting dirty it is not to bad. the tank has no drain, somone should have put drains for the wife haha.

dangerous1965 05-01-2011 10:00 PM

Bummer! Get a pump to drain the tank then drop it to get the rest! A full tank weighs about 400 pounds!! Drain everything up to the injectors. Put some two stroke oil in the new diesel one ounce per gallon maybe a bit more! Hope you have a 55 gallon drum to save that fuel! It will burn fine in an older car or lawn mower! At 4. a gallon that's 120. just in gas! Leave the lines loose at the injectors. Crank it till fuel comes out at the line ends and then tighten them down. Take it for a drive since it was only a few miles you may have gotten lucky! Listen for any abnormal sounds!! Good luck and don't let the wife drive it to the gas station anymore!

AABEAR 05-05-2011 10:49 PM

You might get a pump that you can get a hose down in your fill spout tank so you can pump it out. Do not crank it with four fuel lines filled with that mix.When you get all that you can put 1gal of outboard oil TCW-3 in then fill it up with DIESEL fuel. That is whit I have seen done that worked good == GOOD LUCK ==

RAW 05-06-2011 07:55 AM

Personally, I would forget the outboard and 2-stroke oil and use a real diesel additive. I prefer Stanadyne as it work very well for my engine, and has a lot of testing to back it up.
Drain the tank as much as possible, but there shouldn't be a need to remove it and get every last drop out. Your putting in an additive to aide in lubrication.
Loosening/removing the supply and delivery lines on the rail will empty most of that fuel out. Once there appears to be no more fuel coming out, re tighten/install the supply and delivery lines.
Once you have good diesel in the tank, crack the supply line to your hi pressure pump (injection pump) and run the lift pump. I assume on these trucks bumping the starter will make the pump run, just like our older 2nd gens. If not, jump the relay. Once good clean diesel is at your hi pressure pump, stop the lift pump. Replace your fuel filter(s), and prime the system again.
Once everything is tight and primed, crank it over and see what happens. It will most likely buck and kick for a bit, but should smoothen out within 10 seconds or so. If damage was done from the fuel, you will have a miss or other symptoms.

Good luck, and maybe it's time for a bigger DIESEL FUEL ONLY sticker?:w2:

http://signs-decals.com/images/Deise...ker-decals.jpg

Mdub707 05-10-2011 12:32 PM

Stanadyne isn't the best choice for lubricity either. If you can get some bio diesel to throw in it's the best. Even just 5% will offer more lubricity than any aftermarket additive will. Next best thing is Opti-lube, but I gotta say I would put some 2 stroke oil in myself as well.

Deezel Stink3r 05-10-2011 01:26 PM

Common Rail?
The Diesel died by itself already? It might already be to late. Every bit of the fuel has to go-including lines and pump and lift pump.This can be an expensive failure.
Good luck to you.

AABEAR 05-25-2011 05:15 PM

YOU want some extra lube for your ENG! that is what the out board oil will do for your ENG. After it is used you can run Diesel FUEL only if you want! Outboard oil is made to burn with out leaving ash in your ENG.

RAW 05-25-2011 10:13 PM

Outboard oil is made to burn with out leaving ash in your ENG.
Agreed, on a 2-stoke SPARK ignition engine.

Anyway, how sis it turn out? :humm: