5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Need help, my truck stop running!!!

Old 04-10-2011, 04:16 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help, my truck stop running!!!

My 2004 Ram Cummins truck have a problem since the begining of march. It's stop running when I drive it, it do that in any condition: rain, snow, cold, warm, loaded or empty. After it stop I wait for about 1 minute, crank it and he run again, NO CODE SHOW UP. The time between the start and when he shut down is never the same, but for a 40 miles trip he can stop 7 times. When a restart it black smoke come out of the exhaust. Sometime when I feel that is going to stop I play with the gas an his back to life.I already start to troubleshoot it, I change the fuel filter (was not dirty), I try another TPS (same problem), I clean most of the conectors I found under the hood, I bring hit to the dealer they say they dont want to look a hit because it have no code and it can be anythink (thanks DODGE DEALER) and they dont want to lost time on hit... I realy like that truck but right now I am screw and I dont want to spend money for no reason at the shop, I always fix my rides and I love mecanic but now I am out of idea, thanks for your help.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:24 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Clean your battery terminals!

Old 04-12-2011, 06:23 AM
Diesel Fan

I did clean my battery terminals and the truck still act funny... but it's not funny...
Any others advice....Thanks

Old 04-12-2011, 07:19 AM
Default Need help, my truck stop running!!!

I'm no pro, not even close, black smoke sounds like excess fuel, could it be an injector that doesn't close?

Sorry, I just have seen a couple posts where black smoke related to excess fuel.

Havy

Old 04-12-2011, 08:40 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Air filter plugged? maybe a boost leak?

Old 04-12-2011, 08:51 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

This is a classic lift pump failure. Check it. On your 04, it should be mounted on the back of the filter bowl, unless its been moved to the tank. It should hum/buzz if its working (but that in itself doesn't mean its pumping as the shafts sometimes shear: pump motor runs but the pump doesn't).

Old 04-12-2011, 11:29 AM
Diesel Fan

I was thinking about the lift pump, this week I am going to check the pressure, is somebody can tell me what is suppose to be. The lift pump on my truck is in the tank, Dodge dealer move it there after the other one died. I order a Airdog 150, that make long time I want one for my truck, for what I now seem to be a good upgrade. Anybody now if it's possible to instatll the Airdog in the engine compartiment, where I am from we get lots of snow and I drive on gravel road half of the time, I dont like the idea to instal it under the truck.
I keep going with the troubleshouting and let you now about the progress.

Thanks for all the informations, this forum is realy goods

Old 04-12-2011, 12:10 PM
Diesel Wrench

Check the pump relay too...

Old 04-12-2011, 01:37 PM
Diesel Fan

Where is that relay, is it in the electric box beside the left battery.

Thanks

Old 04-12-2011, 01:39 PM
Diesel Wrench

From what I remember reading (I never went that route, I went to a FASS), the replacement in-tank pump has its own dedicated wiring; and the relay and fuse are in that wiring harness. They only use the old wiring to trigger the new pump's relay...much like a FASS or AirDog.

If you can trace the wiring from the tank to the engine, you should find the relay and fuse.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help, my truck stop running!!!