Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/)
-   -   Tranny rebuilt now this (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/71036-tranny-rebuilt-now.html)

RickBeer 02-23-2011 07:34 PM

Tranny rebuilt now this

Two weeks ago I had my tranny rebuilt by a well known guy, 3 clutch converter all new billet parts ect. He also installed pillar gauges on my truck, everything seemed fine..couple days ago I opened my hood to check things out & noticed one of my batteries lost the cap on top of the battery thinking it was bad I took it back to the place & had it exchange under warranty battery was very hot so we checked out the alternator putting out 18.5 volts "over charging" so I replaced the alternator checked it again now over 19 volts. PCM bad ??? could this have happened when tranny was rebuilt or when the gauges installed :scare2:

mysterync 02-23-2011 08:15 PM

Nope, most likely not. Sounds like a bad PCM. There's a very small possibility a wire could be shorted on a trans harness and fry the pcm but their would be no way to prove that without a damaged connector, trans not functioning correctly. Sound like you've just had some bad luck!

seaurchin1969 02-23-2011 08:55 PM

Did I miss something, I am new to dodges, or anything run by a computer for that mater. So... since when does the PCM/ecm or any cm have anything to do with alternator output voltage? I know GM Alts have built in Voltage regulators, and that older cummins powered dodges have an external VR, but as far as I know they are independant of the computers. Tell me if Im wrong.:humm:

mysterync 02-23-2011 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by seaurchin1969 (Post 713508)
Did I miss something, I am new to dodges, or anything run by a computer for that mater. So... since when does the PCM/ecm or any cm have anything to do with alternator output voltage? I know GM Alts have built in Voltage regulators, and that older cummins powered dodges have an external VR, but as far as I know they are independant of the computers. Tell me if Im wrong.:humm:

every dodge pickup from 94 up (that I know of, Not big on 1st gens) is externally regulated by the PCM, and the important piece in this puzzle is the fact the PCM is also the TCM lol For instance if your 01 or 07 for that matter starts shifting funny, or starts charging unusually you could most likely clean the grounds on the PCM and fix the problem.

seaurchin1969 02-23-2011 09:03 PM

OK ill bite....whats a TCM?

mysterync 02-23-2011 09:04 PM

Transmission control module, in dodges also known as the powertrain control module

seaurchin1969 02-23-2011 09:06 PM

Transmission cm ok i figured it out.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Your making that 12v engine in my shop look better and better.

mysterync 02-23-2011 09:08 PM

As I said before anything 94 and newer is externally through the PCM.

seaurchin1969 02-23-2011 09:09 PM

or a P-Pumped 24 valve conversion.

mysterync 02-23-2011 09:13 PM

Failures I guess you could say are not all that common. I guess they seem more common to me for the simple fact we work on these trucks day in and day out and run across it more often lol