Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/)
-   -   Misses under hard acceleration. WHY? Ideas? (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/65284-misses-under-hard-acceleration-why-ideas.html)

trucken 12-19-2010 10:17 PM

Misses under hard acceleration. WHY? Ideas?

Just did head gasket and studs. After assembly i turned up the tune a little. Jumped on it a bit, got a bop, bop, bop kinda miss. Or maybe its a pop, pop, kinda miss. Idles fine, runs fine under light pedal too. Only misses when I hit it.

Only thing I can think of is valve lash was a little loose (I notice while re-assembling) Figured I adjust valves later after running a while.

Any Ideas?

A look below will show the mods.

Youngblood 12-20-2010 12:12 AM

my friends 01 did this and he had all new valves and valve springs done and has never had a problem since, his truck also had 210k on it, so I don't know:humm:

Red_Rattler 12-20-2010 12:53 AM

Def could be some float going on. Why would you wait to adjust them?! Good way to screw a motor up...

prison 12-20-2010 01:05 AM

you were in there anyway man ya should've at least checked them. preventative maintenance. This'll teach ya. it's much better than killin a motor but next time take your time and check everything

Rustin 12-20-2010 01:40 AM

How is the LPG working for you?

trucken 12-20-2010 07:51 AM

Got 250,000 miles on it.

The LPG is lame. about 40 hp around town. I never use it while racing, nitrous IS the way to go. 300 hp instead. LPG was a waste of money. But I keep it. Now putting methonol injection on. After I fix valve miss, if thats what it is.

That job was a pain in the ass. had to pull off both turbos, 2nd CP3, Exhaust manifold bolts are killers to get to.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

I assume the gasket I pull off was factory. The new gasket I put on was OEM cummins. Maybe new gasket was a few thousandths fatter, giving me more lash.

It was a 5 layer gasket that cummins uses. I dont know. I'll try adj valves first. I had an idea they were a little loose when I re-assembled. BUT LIke I said, its an easy adj, compared to R&R head gasket.

What can I say, $ was an issue, I joined the other 10% of america, unemployed due to the oil spill in the GULF. Drill-Ban.

trucken 02-27-2011 08:56 PM

It was an injector issue. 2 bad ones. Probaly 1 then, then continued use fried another.
Don't use RAIL plug! Keep the modified relief valve installed.

mysterync 02-27-2011 09:46 PM

Rail plugs are for diagnoses only lol

cerberus60 03-01-2011 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by trucken (Post 670957)
Jumped on it a bit, got a bop, bop, bop kinda miss. Or maybe its a pop, pop, kinda miss. Idles fine, runs fine under light pedal too.

Typical with a Smarty on the 555's. Start playing with the tunes and timing to find one that will work well.