5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Need Turbo ADVICE

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 04:20 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need Turbo ADVICE

Hey all i am really considering getting a twin turbo setup for my truck for christmas and am torn as to what brand to go with? I am really considering Bd twin setup and a brand called diesel power source. dieselpowersource.com // They are also on ebay with winning bids of prior auctions selling for as low as 2200 dollars. The diesel power source i have never heard of before but i really like the price. Does anyone have any experience with either setup??? YOur help would be greatly appreciated. I will use my truck to tow my camper around and as a daily driver however i like to race it when i get the chance to.
Thanks Again,
Skkkeeeeeeeetttttttttttt
06 cummins

Old 11-16-2007, 04:46 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 319 Likes on 271 Posts

Crawler (Wes) is someone who can help you sort out what would be best for your application. I'll shoot him a PM and get him to post.

Old 11-17-2007, 05:39 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanks dangerous.
Anybody else got any suggestions???

Old 11-19-2007, 08:33 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Sorry for the late reply. I've been out of town for business.

I build all of my own twins and have limited real world experience with both of the above mentioned kits.

However from my experience in dealing with twins on a cummins (first set in 2001). I would advise the BD Twins for your intended use.

Concerning the DPS twins.
THe kit is a pretty looking kit. However. Certail parts of it bother me. I'm not fond of complex bend silicone piping, the resricted air intake pipe, the oil return manifold, the 5"-4" reducer on the HT3B, or their choice of filter. Those are the small things I noticed from the pictures. Also, they are marketing the top turbo in their twins as a Fat Shaft. In other words they are infinging upon Industrial Injection and their line of PHAT SHAFT turbos. Seems a bit shady. Also the HT3B used in their twins although tough as nails is cheaper than the s400 used in the BDs and helps to contribute to their lower cost.

The BD twins bang for the buck are one of the better twin kits that I've seen out there. They use a smaller wheel in the top turbo and spool as fast or faster than any comparable kit. Fitment is good and I've yedt to hear any complaints.

There are many more kits on the market. But, for bolt on and go, I would suggest the BDs or Industrial Injection

The II twins are the next step up from the BDs, Able to supports a bit more horsepower.

I've got to get back to work. Just post up and questions and I'll check this as often as I can.

~Wes~

Old 11-19-2007, 11:15 AM
Site Sponsor - Alligator Performance
Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by SkeetSkeet
Hey all i am really considering getting a twin turbo setup for my truck for christmas and am torn as to what brand to go with? I am really considering Bd twin setup and a brand called diesel power source. dieselpowersource.com // They are also on ebay with winning bids of prior auctions selling for as low as 2200 dollars. The diesel power source i have never heard of before but i really like the price. Does anyone have any experience with either setup??? YOur help would be greatly appreciated. I will use my truck to tow my camper around and as a daily driver however i like to race it when i get the chance to.
Thanks Again,
Skkkeeeeeeeetttttttttttt
06 cummins
I just took a ride in the dieselpowersource.com 03 Dodge on Friday and I was impresed. It had just an Edge Juice w/attitude on level 1 and it felt completely stock, until he matted it and the boost got above 50 PSI. Then we did a few boosted launches with it on level 4 and boy did it move out, and no lag at all. They look like a very complete kit and and very reasonable for price too. Just my thought's.

Chad

Old 11-19-2007, 01:09 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

I have had nothing but great luck with the BD's. I have them on my 2006 and I just love them. BD also just released their R700 racing twins, which is the same top turbo but a S400 on the bottom. More airflow.
I have the older towing set up and I have no problems towing or racing. Around town they are nice and smooth and you can drive like a grandpa if you want, truck drives as easy as it did stock. Want to rip on it? They light quick and you have to keep the rear end behind you. Even with my long box, when they light and I am on it, it wants to powerslide. Too fun!

Old 11-19-2007, 06:12 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

The one piece silicon hose being used for a cold side connection disturbs me.

~Wes~

Old 11-19-2007, 06:16 PM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts

BD Twins

Old 11-20-2007, 06:43 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanks for the replies. I have a another question crawler is what exactly is the concern with the one piece silicone hose Crawler, im not real sure about how this could be bad. forgive me i dont know a whole lot about turbos and this will be my first twin setup so im trying to get as must info as possible on this thanks again!!
Skkeeeeeeettttttttttt

Old 11-20-2007, 08:02 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

With the one piece hose you dont have anything ridgid to help keep the hose on the top turbo when the boost from the bottom charger comes up.
The hose can deform and pop off. With a piped setup the rigidity of the piping helps to hold it in place and the hose is merely a connection.

In even bigger badder setups we actually put a tab on the charger and on the pipe and use a turnbuckle to keep them held together, thereby relieving stresses on the boot and clamp.

So, the hose going from the discharge of the bottom turbo to the inlet of the top charger may tend to pop off. Even if his site says it won't because his silicone hoses are "sticky", I say BS. Been there too many times. Also, the HT3B he is using on the bottom is a poor match to a 62mm tob turbo.

Also, as was mentioned above-necking a HT3B down to 4" is STUPID.
An HT3B has a 5" exhaust outlet for a reason. It needs to be outletted to a five inch exhaust system not necked down to 4" just to make it easier or cheaper for the builder.

NEW INFO from today is that he has stepped on the toes of High Tech Turbo, Industrial Injection, and Scheids. Since he uses the terms HTB2 (HTT's name), Fat Shaft (copying Industrial Injection's PHAT SHAFT name), and Lightning (infringing upon Scheid's "Lighning" chargers).

~Wes~

Last edited by Crawler; 11-20-2007 at 08:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Crawler:
DangerousDuramax (11-20-2007), SkeetSkeet (11-20-2007)

Quick Reply: Need Turbo ADVICE