5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Just a suggestion:

Old 09-27-2010, 06:06 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Just a suggestion:

I see a lot of folks having transmission problems and i wanted to suggest something: There's a trick i learned a long time ago[if you drive and automatic] when at a red light or stopped throw your tranny in NEUTRAL! Why? that's when a tq gets abused the most it's like[holding your clutch down on a manual while standing still]. It applies pressure and heat to a transmission that is in brake duty. I also suggest using FULL synthetic in your tranny and change it once a year. If you power brake a lot, a lot of what i just said is multiplied a many times. I abuse and smash my stock tranny all the time and it hasn't failed me yet. Using Valvoline full synthetic and my rear is at least 1000lbs of spinnin force.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:28 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 667 Likes on 553 Posts

ATF+4 is already a full synthetic.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:27 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by RAM CR 24V
ATF+4 is already a full synthetic.
Thank you sir!

Old 10-01-2010, 02:47 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

FYI, ATF+4 is not full synthetic its made from group III crude oil base stock.

From AllPar,
For the full story behind the development of ATF+4, please see SAE paper #982674.Here are a few tidbits:

The initial development was done using Shell's XHVI base oil. Only much later were other Group III base oils approved. (Currently, SK in Korea and PetroCanada are the only additional approved base oil suppliers.) The use of Group III base oils is probably the leading cause for ATF+4 being a more expensive fluid than ATF+3 (which according to the paper uses a Group II base oil).

Lubrizol developed a new shear-stable viscosity index (VI) improver specifically for ATF+4. The initial tests of this VI improver in the
MS9602 test fluids were so remarkable that Chrysler modified the then-current ATF+2 spec (MS7176D) to include it. Thus ATF+3 (MS7176E) fluid was born; it remained the factory fill until ATF+4. Lubrizol is used in ATF+4 and is required in fluids licensed for compatibility.

The paper noted that one alternative was to use synthetic Group IV base stock, which are even more expensive than the ATF+4 solution, which provided Group IV style performance from Group III stock.

Oil Groups:

Group I base oils can have a mix of different hydrocarbon chains, with relatively little uniformity; these oils are the least refined. They are usually not used for autos.

Group II are the most common base oils in “dino juice,” with good performance in most areas except cold temperature viscosity.

Group III are called synthetic, and have high molecular uniformity and stability. Group III oil bases are used in most synthetic oils.

Group IV are chemically engineered stocks, arguably with the highest performance and longevity.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:10 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

thank you sir how can i tell what tranny fluid i have in my truck sounds dumb ik but i bought the truck a few weeks ago ani wanna change the fluid an stuff so whats recommended for a94 cummins auto

Old 10-01-2010, 04:21 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 667 Likes on 553 Posts

ATF+4 isn't a synthetic blend, or regular oil, so that means it's a full synthetic.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:39 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by 06Dodge
FYI, ATF+4 is not full synthetic its made from group III crude oil base stock.

From AllPar,
For the full story behind the development of ATF+4, please see SAE paper #982674.Here are a few tidbits:

The initial development was done using Shell's XHVI base oil. Only much later were other Group III base oils approved. (Currently, SK in Korea and PetroCanada are the only additional approved base oil suppliers.) The use of Group III base oils is probably the leading cause for ATF+4 being a more expensive fluid than ATF+3 (which according to the paper uses a Group II base oil).

Lubrizol developed a new shear-stable viscosity index (VI) improver specifically for ATF+4. The initial tests of this VI improver in the
MS9602 test fluids were so remarkable that Chrysler modified the then-current ATF+2 spec (MS7176D) to include it. Thus ATF+3 (MS7176E) fluid was born; it remained the factory fill until ATF+4. Lubrizol is used in ATF+4 and is required in fluids licensed for compatibility.

The paper noted that one alternative was to use synthetic Group IV base stock, which are even more expensive than the ATF+4 solution, which provided Group IV style performance from Group III stock.

Oil Groups:

Group I base oils can have a mix of different hydrocarbon chains, with relatively little uniformity; these oils are the least refined. They are usually not used for autos.

Group II are the most common base oils in “dino juice,” with good performance in most areas except cold temperature viscosity.

Group III are called synthetic, and have high molecular uniformity and stability. Group III oil bases are used in most synthetic oils.

Group IV are chemically engineered stocks, arguably with the highest performance and longevity.
Good post. Thought there was a reason why Valvoline had the need to post"Synthetic" on the can

Search this Thread