Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/)
-   -   Proper Antifreeze? (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/40842-proper-antifreeze.html)

dieseldude03 01-15-2010 02:33 PM

Proper Antifreeze?

OK. So I just took my truck to the local radiator shop for a complete flush and fill and a new thermostat as I'm knocking on the door of the 100,000 mile club. When they were done, the guy at the shop told me to check the coolant level in the over-flow tank when I got home and if it was low at all to bring it back and they'd top it off.

So I did as I was told and popped the hood when I got it home. I notice two things right off. #1. The coolant level is fine. #2. The coolant is more of a yellow than the reddish color of the factory fill. So I break out the owners manual and it says only Ethylene Glycol based coolants with HOAT (hybrid organic additive technology) are to be used.

I call the shop with my inquiry and they inform me that they indeed use an Ethylene Glycol-based antifreeze. It's an extended service life blend rated for 5 years-150,000 miles and "compatible with any color anti-freeze and any cooling system... foreign and domestic". But when I asked them if it was HOAT, the response was, "what's that?"

So.... did I just poison my cooling system and the engine, radiator and heater core is gonna melt down into a smoldering lump of goo or is it OK to go HOATless when a full flush and fill is done???:humm:

wildbill 01-15-2010 04:22 PM

Take it back and make them change it to the right stuff.

dangerous1965 01-15-2010 09:58 PM

HOAT?? Put in the extended life coolant and call it a day! This is a cummins remember!
It's just another way to make you go to the dealer and dump your money on the counter!

tdiezel 01-15-2010 10:17 PM

SO maybe im really screwed because I just bought Prestone Antifreeze and added some purified filtered water to it so it was half and half. Does it really matter?? My uncles friend has worked on diesels for 21 years and says as long as its antifreeze and some purified water it all works the same. Said the same thing as dangerous. Its just a way to get you to pay more at the dealership.

vince7723 01-17-2010 11:12 AM

As long as it's extended life antifreeze, clear or orange-ish, you're fine. HOAT is ideal but yeah, it's a stealership trap. Stay away from the fluorescent green stuff and you're all good.

But those tards at the shop should def. have know what HOAT is. I'd go to a different shop from now on for peace of mind.

FastCR 01-17-2010 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by dieseldude03 (Post 472235)
an Ethylene Glycol-based antifreeze. It's an extended service life blend rated for 5 years-150,000 miles and "compatible with any color anti-freeze and any cooling system... foreign and domestic".

That's prestone, read straight off the bottle. And indeed it is made to be compatible with EVERYTHING.

tdiezel 01-18-2010 12:24 AM

So Prestone Antifreeze, good or bad??

HOLYSMOKES 01-18-2010 06:00 AM

You didnt go on the cheap when you selected a vehicle, why would anyone go on the cheap PROTECTING that truck? :argh: Take it back, have them put in the $20 a gallon stuff thats suppose to be in there.:c:

Billy D 01-18-2010 06:48 AM

Whats wrong with the grren? I always thought it was better than the acidic crap, no crusty after mess, as long as you don't neglect it, I thought the green was fine.:humm:

dieseldude03 01-18-2010 12:07 PM

I've been looking around the interweb a lot since I've had this done. Everybody has their opinions and some discussions can be pretty heated! I'm still on the fence as to what I'm gonna do. I have only driven the truck a couple times since having the service so i guess taking it back is still an option, but I can't definitely say that what they put in is the "wrong" stuff. I, along with quite a few others out there, feel this HOAT stuff is just a way for the stearships to back out of warranty coverage. (Oh, your head-gasket is hosed and we noticed your anti-freeze.... warranty VOID!") What it actually does to "benefit" the truck, as opposed to the dealer, I still haven't figured out.