5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Oil Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 09:29 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

But for those who still burn LSD the new CJ-4 oil does not hold up as well as CI-4+ oil.

Old 12-24-2009, 09:51 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by 06Dodge
But for those who still burn LSD the new CJ-4 oil does not hold up as well as CI-4+ oil.
The EPA would interested to know where you can purchase LSD for on-highway use. It will be phased out from all availability including heavy trans (locomotives) and marine by February 2011.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:24 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Nadir,

This had been talked to death many times over, but once more LSD is legal to use for on road use until late 2010. FYI some of the Flying J truck stops still sell LSD like the Flying J on I-70 & Exit 359 Limon Co according to the Flying J web site along several other Flying J truck stops in other states like AZ, GA, IL, IN, KY, UT just to name a few.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:06 PM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by 06Dodge
Nadir,

This had been talked to death many times over,...
I realize that, and that's why I don't understand why people keep clinging to it. Are you stocking up on CI oil? What will you say after 2010? 2011? 2012?

Sorry dudes, but time marches on. Cling to the past or get with the program, your choice.

And OBTW, CJ holds up just as well or better than CI4+. Why would you think otherwise? Starting TBN? That too has been discussed to death all over the Internet.

Old 12-26-2009, 05:16 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Old 12-27-2009, 09:07 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amsoil is and will continue to make the CI+ oil. In their testing it does hold up better and last longer but will clog up the new DPF systems on the new trucks. The CI is a better choice for the pre-2007 trucks.

Doug

Old 12-27-2009, 09:34 PM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by firefighter56
In their testing ...
Yeah right, got it. Now show us a manufacturer or vendor who's testing reveals their product to not be best.

Amsoil will continue to make anything they can sell. As will any producer or blender. It won't be long before the market for CI-rated oil dries up, just like every previous API rating before it.

There is nothing special about Amsoil. As long as they can find people to believe the Amsoil legend they will continue to make whatever they can sell for a premium price to unwitting customers.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:56 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now show us another manufacturer or vendor who publishes the third party ASTM lab results and spells out all the competitors. Explain to us all why, when Mobil was directly asked specific questions about how they compared to the testing against Amsoil, and the testing results that Amsoil published, they had no answers and skated around the questions. Tell us all why, if Amsoil isn't better, how they can get away with publishing all the ASTM results naming the other companies and their results if they weren't true. It seems to me that if they were lying then there would be lawsuits against them and they would no longer be in business. If you have done so much studying and investigating on oils and their manufacturing processes then you should know that Amsoil does not use their own testing results for their advertising publications. Also, if there is nothing special about Amsoil compared to everyone else, then why doesn't everyone else reccomend 25,000 mile oil changes for gasoline engines and up to 50,000 mile intervals for diesels or more with oil analysis monitoring? Why will the other companies not offer the warranty that Amsoil does? Why do other companies claim that they are "synthetic" yet still just use a group III base? These questions could go on all night but so they don't lets just say that the proof is there for those that want to look that Amsoil really does do things better and makes a superior product. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that other oils are not good, or that everything else is junk, or your truck will blow up if you don't run Amsoil, I am saying that Amsoil is better.

Doug

Old 12-29-2009, 09:26 PM
Diesel Bomber

You got alot of questions there, Doug! Maybe you should start some investigating and get to the bottom of this?! Personally, rather than playing the straw man, trying to refute concocted testing programs that amount to nothing more than marketing hype, or contradiciting the same old he-said she-said poppycock that gets continually bandied about the Internet as it is here once again, I'll just rely on the existing body of good old UOA evidence from a huge variety of independent unrelated sources which proves beyond a shadow of a doubt there is NOTHING SPECIAL ABOUT AMSOIL.

Well, maybe the price. But by the time you run out to the end of those extended long drain intervals (which almost nobody really does, BTW) and pay for a couple/three UOAs to make sure you are not ruining your engine, the cost becomes literally triple what you will incur with more mainstrem brands on reasonable 10-15k UOA's, and you're not risking your engine. You might be surprised to know you can reach those same intervals with the syn varieties of Delvac, Rotella, Mobil or any other quality brand under the right conditions. I've done it. Amsoil is big into the bypass filter thing for obvious reasons. It supports their marketing strategy.

Let's see now. My choices are: spend less, keep engine safe, or OTOH, spend more and risk running oil too long. Hmmmm

Whatever blows your skirt up, dude!

Old 12-29-2009, 10:25 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 279 Likes on 256 Posts

all im gonna say is we run Rotella at work at 36k intervals in ISX ISM and whatever 8.3's are...and have been doing it for a while now and have no bad things happen. I do believe that even though the zinc level is lower im guessing they use some kind of synthetic additive to take its place..JMHO

I run rotella and fleet guards onmy truck FYI

Quick Reply: Oil Recommendations