5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Oil Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 05:40 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by firefighter56
If you read closely on the Valvoline bottle it is specifically for the ISM and ISX Cummins, no mention of the ISB engine that is in our trucks.
The ISM and ISX engines are heavier duty engines. Is there a concern with using this oil in our lighter duty ISB engines?

Does anyone have any information on the OEM Mopar oil that came from the factory, or that perhaps the dealers use?

Old 12-08-2009, 11:44 PM
Default Oil Change Intervals

Since were talking oil, just curious how long most of you guys go between changes? I do not do much pulling but living in the mountains causes a little more work. Also, does it matter having the aftermarket mods done

Thanks

Old 12-09-2009, 09:33 PM
Diesel Fan

I run Amsoil in my truck with an Amsoil filter. For stock trucks the normal service mileage recommendation is 25,000 or 1 year, but if you have mods or tow heavy or any other reason to consider it severe duty then they recommend 15,000 miles. I usually change mine around the 15,000 mile mark. I don't run my truck hard, I only tow about 12,000 lbs 2,500 miles or less a year, but I do have a programmer.

Doug

Old 12-10-2009, 05:20 AM

Thanks Doug, souds like Amsoil and use the severe duty guidelines is the way to go. I plan on changing the oil when I get home from Iraq in early Feb even though the oil only has about 5000 miles on it because it will have been in there for over a year.

Chet

Old 12-10-2009, 06:46 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well at the moment im using delo and running a fleetguead filter. I will be puting a bypass on in the future when it starts to warm up agian. Been thinking of the amsoil. I have that in my 96 dodge and its good stuff. Shell aint bad stuff neither is the mobil delvac. Realy as long as it conforms to the API standards to your engine you should be fine. Seeing as all the brands stated above do I say you should be fine.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by MP Milkey
Since were talking oil, just curious how long most of you guys go between changes? I do not do much pulling but living in the mountains causes a little more work. Also, does it matter having the aftermarket mods done

Thanks

Well if you are fueling hard like from bigger injectores and working it hard ex sled pulling, raceing , heavy towing, extended ide time then yeah its a good idea to change it a little sooner. Least thats what I would do.

Last edited by MP03; 12-10-2009 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-11-2009, 03:52 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by wardvwracer
Does anyone have any information on the OEM Mopar oil that came from the factory, or that perhaps the dealers use?
When I asked the dealer about the oil they use, I was told they can use any brand of oil they want for oil changes, but if they need to use oil for warranty work the oil they have to use is Mobil oil and it has to be purchased from Dodge.

Old 12-20-2009, 02:04 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by wardvwracer
The ISM and ISX engines are heavier duty engines. Is there a concern with using this oil in our lighter duty ISB engines?

Still looking for an answer to my question above. Anyone know?

Old 12-20-2009, 04:45 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by firefighter56
If you read closely on the Valvoline bottle it is specifically for the ISM and ISX Cummins, no mention of the ISB engine that is in our trucks.
The bottle you read was probably for the new LE oil (CJ-4). The ISX with it's poor EGR design will chew up any oil and spit it out. (not real familiar with the ISM)

I personally would not run CJ-4 oil in an engine that you have run CI oil in (mileage based) for the exact reason listed before. The new LE oils have lower levels of naturally occurring ingredients then older blends.

I have heard multiple stories and seen a couple of engines that have run CI oil for all there life, when changed over to the LE (CJ-4) oil it caused premature bearing failure do to the lack of additives.

This is my opinion and knowledge based on working with an 18 truck fleet with many shop contacts beyond that. I am not a petroleum engineer!!!!!

Last edited by 00' Quad Cab; 12-20-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:36 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The "LE" stands for LOW EMMISIONS. Thats it. Developed for the new engines, with strict exhaust requirements. thanks california...

Old 12-20-2009, 05:52 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

Running the new CJ-rated oil in an older engine is a win-win for two reasons. #1, the lower level of "naturally ocurring ingredients" () I believe probably refers to lesser amounts of the old ZDDP anti-wear formulation found in the the CI-rated oils. The newer formulations with their accompanying new anti-wear additives have a slightly lower overall TBN rating. But they have performed as well or even better in many cases as evidenced by a growing body of UOA evidence. Myth busted.

#2, the new CJ-rated oils and their accompanying formulations were specifically designed for much greater soot control capabilities with new dispersant and detergent technology to support much higher levels of soot production from the emissions systems in new diesels. So, you get just as good (arguably better, time will tell) anti-wear performance and better soot control with an engine that produces less soot. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Quick Reply: Oil Recommendations