Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/)
-   -   "popping" out of stacks (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/36379-popping-out-stacks.html)

TXAustin 11-16-2009 04:01 PM

"popping" out of stacks

Well the new motor is finally starting to get worn in a little bit (about 1700 miles on it now) and I notice around 1/2 throttle it sounds like there is a LOUD popping out of the stacks. I am not sure if it is "rail pop" or what is going on. New fuel filter, new engine, no muffler... yet. I am not sure if my CP3 is starting to go out and not hitting fuel to the pistons at the right time or what.

Took it to the shop and they said this happens on trucks with stacks and the best way to solve it is to put a muffler on it.

Anybody else have this with a straight piped system? It used to do that a little bit before the rebuild, but not like this.

Thanks, Austin

MP03 11-16-2009 04:52 PM

Try and get a sound clip I supose. I think I know the sound your talking about and if its what im thinking alot of the CRs sound that way around me.

TXAustin 11-16-2009 09:59 PM

I will try.. I am hoping a muffler will solve this it is just really annoying on the highway!

DB Admin 11-17-2009 05:45 AM

sounds like you have a timing issue or your floating your valves

TXAustin 11-17-2009 11:18 AM

That is what I was starting to think. With just about 1700 miles on the motor there should not be a problem though. In front of the truck no matter what RPM it is the motor itself is very quiet! You can't hear valves floating or anything.:s:

07redsled 11-17-2009 05:25 PM

timing timing timing lol mine did the same thing backed the timing out and it doesnt do it anymore also check rail pressure might be that too most likey and cheaper to back down the timing first

TXAustin 11-17-2009 05:46 PM

What is the procedure to back the timing down some? I am hoping it is not the CP3 but if it is then a upgrade replacement from industrial is a must :choochoo:

cerberus60 11-17-2009 06:09 PM

The Edge advances the timing and ups the duration, the big injectors just aggravate it. You need a prgrammer that allows some timing manipulation of the Edge doesn't.

I wouldn't run the Edge with that setup anyway, too much timing and duration and bye-bye pistons and rings.

TXAustin 11-17-2009 07:39 PM

That is what happened... bye bye #6 piston ring and had to have it rebuilt.

Which is the best box to allow me to change the timing? Also I plan on buying a smarty soon and for the most part the edge will be my "gauges".

cerberus60 11-17-2009 08:22 PM

Smarty has multiple timing settings to tune it in, TQ management removal, faster pressure ramp, plus other things. Lots of guys run into the popping with the 03-04 with too much timing and you just back it down till it quits.

Smarty\MP-8 stack is one of, if not the most, versatile stacks available. TST is also a good product to stack with a DL'er.