Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/)
-   -   48re used wrong trans fluid (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/36093-48re-used-wrong-trans-fluid.html)

BigRedFireTruck 11-12-2009 12:17 PM

48re used wrong trans fluid

I have used dextron without realizing that I have used it till now. it has been in their for 6000 miles. Today I have drained it and flushed. I guess I should have looked at the new jug's label.
I have only moved one boat about 45 miles and the rest has been normal driving

tdiezel 11-12-2009 07:58 PM

Be careful about what you put in the tranny. I would suggest a good synthetic. AMSOIL is up there at the top but there are other synthetics as well. The tranny drives the truck make sure you use the right stuff lol.

BigRedFireTruck 11-12-2009 09:23 PM

Yeah I know I have put in Valvoline full synthetic ATF +4 next time around I will be using Amsoil. I am on borrowed time with my trans anyways In June I will be buying a Suncoast with my new ATS 5 star that is on the shelf in the garage. I have HP on a stock trans just a bully dog with extreme crazy larry If you know anything about that its trouble on stock trans I keep it on Tow as much as possible

MarineOne 11-13-2009 10:45 PM

Run it a couple thousand miles on the new stuff and flush it again. Yeah I know its probably a PITA and costs a few extra dollars, but the wrong ATF will do some crazy stuff to a tranny.

At least this may help you last until June.

-K

BigRedFireTruck 11-14-2009 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by MarineOne (Post 431281)
Run it a couple thousand miles on the new stuff and flush it again. Yeah I know its probably a PITA and costs a few extra dollars, but the wrong ATF will do some crazy stuff to a tranny.

At least this may help you last until June.

-K

that is my thought too. I am picking up boats in MO and Iowa and delivering them to Chicago next week then taking a boat from Chicago to Texas when I get back from Texas I was thinking of changing it again for a good laugh. Sound like a good Idea? :w2:

wildbill 11-14-2009 07:59 PM

The ATS 5 Star is a super sticky converter, and it locks up hard. Just so ya know.

mxtuner1 11-14-2009 11:45 PM

Since your almost all fluided out - read about using John Deere HYDRAULIC fluid (Hyguard) in your auto tranny! Good reading and next change its going in! Last time I saw the thread was on a Ford Mustang drag site. If I find again I'll post it. By the way- Amsoil is excellent- and I'm a dealer but the Hyguard is intriging.

BigRedFireTruck 11-16-2009 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by wildbill (Post 431825)
The ATS 5 Star is a super sticky converter, and it locks up hard. Just so ya know.

that is what I was worried about with my choice of TC. Now I am worried that it is over kill?