5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Transmission Problems/// A618-48RE 2006

Old 10-22-2009, 05:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Problems/// A618-48RE 2006

I own a 2006 DODGE RAM 25000 with 5.9Liter Cummins Turbo with a 48RE tranny, the problem with this transmission is the following, no down shifting to 1st gear, when you take off from a stop it shift from 2nd gear to first gear back and forward, to fix this problem do the following.

You need to replace
1. Transmission governor preasure selenoid # 4617210
2. Transmission governor sensor 2000 & newer, black plastic sensor # 56028196AD
3. Transmission overdrive & lock up selenoid 1998 on A618-48RE, this one comes with the harnes 8 cables and plug

USUALLY THE PROBLEM IS THE TRANSMISSION OVERDRIVE & LOCK UP SELENOID , BUT TO BE SURE I REPLACED ALL THE ELECTRONIC CONTROLS INSIDE THE TRANSMISSION ALSO I ADJUSTED THE FRONT BAND. YOU COULD BUY THIS PARTS ON LINE AT; TransmissionPartsUSA.com.........TEL. 239-790 5401. Im a Automotive Thecnitian Licence 11985, with 30 years expirience from PUERTO RICO .NEED MORE INFO CALL ME 787-469-5380

Old 10-22-2009, 06:27 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 108 Likes on 106 Posts

You will get a better response to your question if you post it here:
5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07

Old 05-11-2010, 01:38 AM

I have a 2004 dodge with the 48RE trans i just took it in for hard shifting problems from first all the way to fourth was having extreme shifting thug. so they thought i needed the bands adjusted and the fluid changed so i did that.The problem went away for about a week or so but now it is back any ideas??? what should i do?

Old 05-11-2010, 06:04 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Read the first post covers what you need!

Old 03-05-2012, 03:25 AM

So here's an issue... thought my starter drive wasn't engaging, could here it spinning, but not cranking the engine... had 20 min to make it to auto zone to get a starter if that was the problem... got underneath the thing to find that the starter was physically loose, I mean the top bolt missing the bottom two backed out, one barely hanging on! figuring that the problem was the physical interface, and missing one bolt, we didn't see the need to remove and replace a working part, instead tighten the bolts back down and replace the missing bolt the next day... Well, that worked, but when tightening the battery leads the truck turned off... when we attempted to restart, the housing around the lower bolt cracked and back to the existing problem... The decision was made to place the lower bolt in place of the upper, limp home, and install new starter the next day... Here's were it gets interesting... The upper bolt is in a hard to reach location using a 10mm and a ratchet, my friend accidently drops the ratchet and best we could tell it hits the lead, and arcs... Everyone's okay... Finally get it tightened, truck starts...

So, why am I in a tranny post talking about the starter... it's called foreshadowing I suppose...

On my drive home I didn't notice anything wrong until about half a mile from the house, the truck seemed like it wasn't shifting right... I slowed, and put it in neutral... then back to drive... I was making the speed limit of 25, but then started to loose power... completely! I was stuck rev'ing the engine 100 yards from my driveway on the side of the road, reverse wasn't working, and neither was drive... Finally it started moving, but not the way it should, there was just no "take off", and when it tried shifting it just started jerking... kinda like a limited slip engaging and disengaging in sand... Got it parked, and tried moving it, but when it is put in gear it doesn't roll at idle in drive or reverse... if I get it up to around 1500 RPM it'll slowly respond, but not with much force, barely with the power you'd get at idle...

best I can guess is that that spark shorted something out in the transmission... but I have no idea where to start... could be the frustration that this just happened, but I'm in the dark right now... guys/gals, does anyone out there have an idea of what is going on? I deploy in a couple of months, and need my only vehicle to get to and from work, can't rely on rides from coworkers all the time!

06 CTD 4WD... no codes... stock 48re... 4WD still engages fine... thanks in advance

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

update... ran outside last night to grab my uniform from the truck... noticed tranny fluid everywhere... not sure of source, but foward drive shaft coated, as well as the pan... it's a mess, looks as if someone slit a throat next to my truck!

Last edited by inksmith; 03-05-2012 at 03:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-05-2012, 09:50 AM

i kinda have the same problem but there was no arc that caused mine. trans just wont go into gear.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:34 AM

Did you figure out whats wrong? I have the same problem and have no lue how to fix it. i also have a manual.

Originally Posted by inksmith
So here's an issue... thought my starter drive wasn't engaging, could here it spinning, but not cranking the engine... had 20 min to make it to auto zone to get a starter if that was the problem... got underneath the thing to find that the starter was physically loose, I mean the top bolt missing the bottom two backed out, one barely hanging on! figuring that the problem was the physical interface, and missing one bolt, we didn't see the need to remove and replace a working part, instead tighten the bolts back down and replace the missing bolt the next day... Well, that worked, but when tightening the battery leads the truck turned off... when we attempted to restart, the housing around the lower bolt cracked and back to the existing problem... The decision was made to place the lower bolt in place of the upper, limp home, and install new starter the next day... Here's were it gets interesting... The upper bolt is in a hard to reach location using a 10mm and a ratchet, my friend accidently drops the ratchet and best we could tell it hits the lead, and arcs... Everyone's okay... Finally get it tightened, truck starts...

So, why am I in a tranny post talking about the starter... it's called foreshadowing I suppose...

On my drive home I didn't notice anything wrong until about half a mile from the house, the truck seemed like it wasn't shifting right... I slowed, and put it in neutral... then back to drive... I was making the speed limit of 25, but then started to loose power... completely! I was stuck rev'ing the engine 100 yards from my driveway on the side of the road, reverse wasn't working, and neither was drive... Finally it started moving, but not the way it should, there was just no "take off", and when it tried shifting it just started jerking... kinda like a limited slip engaging and disengaging in sand... Got it parked, and tried moving it, but when it is put in gear it doesn't roll at idle in drive or reverse... if I get it up to around 1500 RPM it'll slowly respond, but not with much force, barely with the power you'd get at idle...

best I can guess is that that spark shorted something out in the transmission... but I have no idea where to start... could be the frustration that this just happened, but I'm in the dark right now... guys/gals, does anyone out there have an idea of what is going on? I deploy in a couple of months, and need my only vehicle to get to and from work, can't rely on rides from coworkers all the time!

06 CTD 4WD... no codes... stock 48re... 4WD still engages fine... thanks in advance

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

update... ran outside last night to grab my uniform from the truck... noticed tranny fluid everywhere... not sure of source, but foward drive shaft coated, as well as the pan... it's a mess, looks as if someone slit a throat next to my truck!

Old 01-07-2013, 09:08 PM
Default shifting problems

Originally Posted by ruben o. Garcia
I own a 2006 DODGE RAM 25000 with 5.9Liter Cummins Turbo with a 48RE tranny, the problem with this transmission is the following, no down shifting to 1st gear, when you take off from a stop it shift from 2nd gear to first gear back and forward, to fix this problem do the following.

You need to replace
1. Transmission governor preasure selenoid # 4617210
2. Transmission governor sensor 2000 & newer, black plastic sensor # 56028196AD
3. Transmission overdrive & lock up selenoid 1998 on A618-48RE, this one comes with the harnes 8 cables and plug

USUALLY THE PROBLEM IS THE TRANSMISSION OVERDRIVE & LOCK UP SELENOID , BUT TO BE SURE I REPLACED ALL THE ELECTRONIC CONTROLS INSIDE THE TRANSMISSION ALSO I ADJUSTED THE FRONT BAND. YOU COULD BUY THIS PARTS ON LINE AT; TransmissionPartsUSA.com.........TEL. 239-790 5401. Im a Automotive Thecnitian Licence 11985, with 30 years expirience from PUERTO RICO .NEED MORE INFO CALL ME 787-469-5380
Can I do this with out pulling the tranny completely out I pulled my pan and changed the filter and fluid had a little black stuff in the bottom of the pan but no metal or anything like that I added lucas and new filter but its still having the same problem my tranny is doing the same thing as described here there is 243000 miles on the truck with no up grades other than takeing my cat out its a 2006 mage cab dulley 4x4 thanks Alex