Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/)
-   -   Confused. This stuff is intense! (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/31957-confused-stuff-intense.html)

mdmosley1s 09-01-2009 11:19 PM

Confused. This stuff is intense!

Posted on CF too.
Can't run performance or extreme cause stock clutch. If I go put a SB3600 on friday(need 3850?). Can I also do a super B special and be ok? And maybe crazy Larry? Or do I have to do fass fuel, injectors, and Cp3 work too? Will get fass too if needed but will have to wait for injectors and cp3 work for a while. Not sure what fass to get.
Is that turbo gonna spool up? Need arp?
Thanks guys!!! What am I forgetting?:argh:

tower_ofpower 09-01-2009 11:30 PM

i've heard guys say that the stock fuel system can handle 600 horse; but i've also seen multiple posts where guys put their programers on their highest setting (i believe crazy larry was mentioned) and will cause rail pop (lack of fuel pressure) so; the cp3 work may be advised if your going to run with the tuner on high. if your going to throw more fuel to it ontop of a bigger turbo i would go with a set of head studs too. personally i'd upgrade your drive line, throw a turbo on it stud it and keep the programmer on a lower setting for awhile. then do your injectors, cp3 work, and go with airdog instead of FASS i've read and heard alot of good things... cheaper too but not in quality. hope this gets you pointed in the right direction; i'm not an expert on the CR engine but hopefully someone will stroll through and collaborate; i assume you do have gauges?

wildcat 09-02-2009 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by tower_ofpower (Post 388116)
i've heard guys say that the stock fuel system can handle 600 horse; but i've also seen multiple posts where guys put their programers on their highest setting (i believe crazy larry was mentioned) and will cause rail pop (lack of fuel pressure) so; the cp3 work may be advised if your going to run with the tuner on high. if your going to throw more fuel to it ontop of a bigger turbo i would go with a set of head studs too. personally i'd upgrade your drive line, throw a turbo on it stud it and keep the programmer on a lower setting for awhile. then do your injectors, cp3 work, and go with airdog instead of FASS i've read and heard alot of good things... cheaper too but not in quality. hope this gets you pointed in the right direction; i'm not an expert on the CR engine but hopefully someone will stroll through and collaborate; i assume you do have gauges?

Sound advice.

mdmosley1s,

If you are going to bomb your motor, all the supporting mods you can do to put the power down reliably would be money well spent. You will spend less time trying to figure out what is holding you up, and more time enjoying your truck. Paying for the supporting mods would also be less costly than to recover from a catastrophic failure.

To try to answer your questions, I guess it depends on what your final power desire is.
If you do not have gauges, that would be first. They will help you (And others trying to help you) diagnose what is going on, and what the next step is.

Personally, I would do the Clutch, Lift pump, CP3, before injectors. The programming might actually give you the fueling you need. If your EGT soars with your current Turbo on the higher programmer settings, which it probably will, then do the Turbo, but Head stud it at the same time, or before. If at that time you have trouble lighting the turbo, and your EGT are cool, then do the injectors.
You may find you are happy with your truck's performance somewhere along this upgrade path, you may find you want more, but at least you laid in the groundwork to support it first...

There are others here more knowledgeable than I on this tho'

Good luck man!! :c:

staarma 09-02-2009 09:03 AM

The lift pump is a must. If you run out of fuel supply to your CP3 then you will just be hurting it. I would run a mild pressure box for now and forego the CP3. That along with a nice pump like an airdog or similar will keep your pressures up at the rail and allow you plenty of fuel for whatever programmer/piggyback you like. The 3600 or 3850 will be fine as far as holding power but I would call Southbend and talk to Peter or one of the guys there and let them know your driving style and what you want to do with the truck keeping in mind the future and they will recommend the right clutch for you. Now, if you want to go over 650 HP then you may want to reconsider the CP3 and injectors along with more clutch.

FWIW I'm in the mid 6's right now and Istill have stock injectors and CP3. The rest is in my sig. Last time I dyno'd I put down 607 HP and that was with an HTB2 and before my new intercooler and Smarty Jr.

mdmosley1s 09-02-2009 09:44 AM

I've been wondering if the gauges on PMT are what I need. Or if not, What I need? ARP 625s? What type of driveline mods do I need?
I really don't want to go past what an arson cp3 can handle. I'll probly beready for arson and injectors by next month. I just want the arson to be enough until Im ready for the stage 2 or 3 cp3. So do you think the arson can handle crazy larry, super b special, and 90hp injectors? Is that dd3600 going to be enough? Thanks guys I know I have too many questions but what can I say..... You guys know your 5h!t!!!

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Staarma, sorry didn't reload page before I posted. Been reading it over and over trying not to miss anything. Great info guys, keep it comming. Thanks for helping.

staarma 09-02-2009 12:23 PM

You won't need any head studs unless you are trying to go above 48-50 PSI and that Super B special will be far out of it's range if you try that much boost with it. I guess I would need to know what kind of power you're hoping for. I don't think you would need to modify your CP3 unless you wanted to. I can maintain over 20k PSI at the CP3 on my rail pressure gauge wide open and my CP3 is stock but I do have 19 PSI supply coming from my FASS pump.

mdmosley1s 09-02-2009 12:50 PM

I would love to be in the 650-750 range but I don't know if that's possible without dropping more money than I'm willing to drop. I just want to be able to go to the track and run with some guys I know, and have a good time.

staarma 09-02-2009 03:01 PM

Well, you will have to look further than the turbo you were thinking about. Head studs, modded CP3 or twin CP3's, lift pump, injectors, maybe a cam, exhaust, manifolds, cold air intake and the list goes on to run with that kind of power.

mdmosley1s 09-02-2009 08:43 PM

Yeah I figured those numbers were too rich for my blood. You know anything about that turbo? With my plans is that one that will work good.

staarma 09-03-2009 10:01 AM

The Special from what I have read and heard from others seems to be a good turbo for up to 600 hp. I bought an HTT because I liked talking with those guys better than the rest I called and talked to about my specific goals and needs. Plus the fact that HTT had a clear and defined upgrade path made the choice pretty simple for me and I'm glad I went that way. I wasn't completely happy with my first choice for reasons I hadn't accounted for. So, they upgraded my turbo to a bigger and newer one for pennies on the dollar. I am most happy with their support and expertise. I have heard similar results from BD but I can't say from my experience.