5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Edge cutting out????

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 08:54 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Edge cutting out????

Alright as in my sig, I have an Edge J/A on my truck, and after awhile it would start cutting out during easy acceleration on levels 4 and 5.. But if i were to stomp on it, it would run fine. So i thought there might be a chance, that the filter mounted lp wasnt keeping up, so i bought an Airdog 150. I got it installed, and vio-la no cutting out. But then after probably a week, it started coming back slowly. And then last Saturday i had it on level 5 was getting on the highway, trying to catch up to a friend, and had her moving pretty good, but then when i started easing out of the throttle, it started cutting out real bad.... So i turned the edge off right away, and it immediately went away. Turn the edge back up to 4 or 5 and it starts cutting out under light throttle again. It isnt bad, it is just a small hiccup and nothing more. So then last night, i was running down the highway and a car wanted to race so we took off going about 70... Once i was in it for a little bit (5-6 seconds) it started cutting out again... Turn the edge off, get back in it, nothing, runs fine. I am waiting to get my fp gauge hooked up as i cant get ahold of a snubber. What could be the problem? I thought maybe injectors, but if it were injectors, wouldnt it be doing it all the time? There is no white smoke on startup, no fuel in oil. So i dont think it is the injectors. If someone could please help. It is really starting to **** me off. I think the edge is going, but i dont have any other programmer to try out and see if it is indeed the edge or if it has something to do with the truck. I dont know what it could be, It is getting plenty of fuel (or so it should with the AD150) What do you guys think???
Thanks
Jeremy

Old 02-14-2009, 08:56 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

contact edge direct and have your version # handy before you call. see if your version is the latest. you may need to send it in for a reflash. had to do that for a couple customers on their fords here in town.

The following users liked this post:
JTProuhet (02-14-2009)
Old 02-14-2009, 09:17 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

K thanks

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

go figure edge is closed today, and i am sure they are closed on monday too... Also i just installed my autometer egt gauge. And the egts the edge would read and the autometer are reading are alot different. With the edge probe in there, i hardly ever saw over 1000*, with the autometer, it took no time to get to 1200*, i know that the CR run hotter and from what i have read run somewhere around 1100-1200* so i am not worried about the temps, just kind of makes me wonder which one is right, I am going to say the autometer, I just cant believe that they would be that far apart from each other

Last edited by JTProuhet; 02-14-2009 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-14-2009, 09:22 AM
High Tech Redneck

Received 496 Likes on 397 Posts

Where do you have the probes located? 2 different places in the manifold will produce 2 different temps...

Old 02-14-2009, 09:29 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

i just have 1 hole. I was planning on getting rid of the edge, so i didnt want to drill 2 holes and then have an open hole.. So when i installed the AM i just took the edge probe out and stuck the AM one in the same hole.. cruising down the highway at 60-65 my edge would read somewhere around 500* and the AM reads somewhere about 600-700*

Old 02-14-2009, 09:38 AM
High Tech Redneck

Were you having these problems b4 you took out the Edge egt? Plus the Edge needs the egt probe to run correctly fyi....

Old 02-14-2009, 09:49 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Oh ya, I just took out the edge prob a couple nights ago.. It has been been doing it under light throttle for some time now.... It is only on levels 4 and 5, if i turn it to level 3 it runs fine......

I had the edge installed for probably 3 weeks before i got the EGT probe installed, i never had any problems with it.. It always ran fine just for the little hiccup and it was alway right around 1600-1700rpms. If i turned it stock and ran it for alittle bit (15mins) i could turn it back up and it would run fine for awhile...

Last edited by JTProuhet; 02-14-2009 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-14-2009, 09:49 AM
High Tech Redneck

Does it stumble like shudder/cutout kinda deal. Mine was doing that with the Banks and it would always throw the crank position sensor code... It was the timing that was screwing it up. so naturally on 4 and 5 there will be more timing added. But like cbrahs said check with Edge first and then you might want to look into cleaning the crank position sensor or get a new one like I did... I'd def. run both probes though. I was looking into doing one b4 the turbo and the other after....

JTProuhet (02-14-2009)
Old 02-14-2009, 10:03 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

ya it is kind of like that... almost like you cut the fuel off for a split second, There have been a couple people ride with me that never notice it until ask them about it and they always say they never noticed it... so it is pretty quick. I have checked codes several times and always come back clean..

If i was going to keep my edge, i was going to do that, put the AM pre turbo and edge post turbo

Last edited by JTProuhet; 02-14-2009 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-14-2009, 10:04 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

it won't set a code unless it happens more consistant.

JTProuhet (02-14-2009)

Quick Reply: Edge cutting out????