Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/)
-   -   Installing Gauges on the Dimmer Switch (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/22331-installing-gauges-dimmer-switch.html)

JTProuhet 02-13-2009 01:46 PM

Installing Gauges on the Dimmer Switch

I got the gauges all installed onto the pillar and wires ran, now i just have to figure out how to wire them to come on.. There are 3 wires, a ground, a power wire and i guess the other is a dimmer switch wire, WHERE IS THE H3!! do i hook these things up???? i have tore apart my dash a couple times, trying to find the right wires to tap into, I dont really want to go splicing into wires, so if there is a way to do it, please LMK and explain. The wires coming off the gauges aren't very long, so i assume they have to go somewhere in the dash.. Any help would be AWESOME!!! Thanks guys:w2::choochoo:

SeaDrive 02-13-2009 01:52 PM

Power should be switched power so it is on when you turn on the truck. Easiest is to use a fuse tap in the fuse box. Ground, find good metal and attach it. Dimmer, go for the light in the ashtray and use a posi-tap on the ashtray light. Viola - you are wired and ready to go.

mishkaya 02-13-2009 02:06 PM

SeaDrive has it right. However I used a painless wiring kit as I have so many accessories hooked up these days ( PAINLESS WIRING KIT - 4 HOT/3 CONSTANT (20 AMP)-Dodge Cummins and Ford Power Stroke Diesel Truck Accessories - Geno's Garage ). Also, I went off the cigarette lighter for the lights to the gauges, but the ashtray would work just as well. You could also go off the fuse box for it as well with a fuse tap ( I just try t avoid them as much as possible).
mishkaya

JTProuhet 02-13-2009 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by SeaDrive (Post 287583)
Power should be switched power so it is on when you turn on the truck. Easiest is to use a fuse tap in the fuse box. Ground, find good metal and attach it. Dimmer, go for the light in the ashtray and use a posi-tap on the ashtray light. Viola - you are wired and ready to go.

Ok, ya getting switched power isnt hard, just find a fuse that has power when key is on and find one that doesnt when key is off.... But i cant say that i have a light in my ashtray.... If mine does, then it is burnt out... But if it does, how do i tap into it? and what is a posi-tap?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

nope i just looked, i dont have a ashtray light

SeaDrive 02-13-2009 03:20 PM

Easiest route then is to go for the headlight switch and measure voltage on the wires until you find the one that controls the dash lights. That way the gauge lights only come on when the dash lights do, and dim with them if you prefer to dim them.

Posi-tap - check this out:
http://www.posi-lock.com/posiplug.html

Available at most autoparts stores. A better way to tap a wire than a scotch lock which almost always fail (eventually)

JTProuhet 02-13-2009 04:00 PM

Them things are pretty cool looking... On the phone with O, O, O, O'Reily's now seeing if they have any Posi-Locks!!! Thanks!!! youve been alot of help:pals::c:

mikmaze 02-13-2009 04:42 PM

if you are looking for switched power, unused fuse location # 37 is switched power, dimmer sounds ike an easy grab from ashtray light as said above.

JTProuhet 02-13-2009 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by mikmaze (Post 287661)
if you are looking for switched power, unused fuse location # 37 is switched power, dimmer sounds ike an easy grab from ashtray light as said above.

I dont have an ashtray light

1Tondiesel 02-14-2009 09:40 AM

I can't tell from your sig pic, but I just tapped into the marker lights on the roof. That way the gauges light up when I turn on the lights. It's not that far to tap into. I removed one of the marker lights, shoved the wire under the roof upholstery until I could grab it in the marker light hole and wired it into the hot wire. It doesnt dim, but it works just fine.

Red_Rattler 02-14-2009 09:44 AM

I just tapped into the dimmer right onto the switch assembly. For power I tapped into the aux. power outlet... Done :c: