5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Installing Gauges on the Dimmer Switch

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 01:46 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Installing Gauges on the Dimmer Switch

I got the gauges all installed onto the pillar and wires ran, now i just have to figure out how to wire them to come on.. There are 3 wires, a ground, a power wire and i guess the other is a dimmer switch wire, WHERE IS THE H3!! do i hook these things up???? i have tore apart my dash a couple times, trying to find the right wires to tap into, I dont really want to go splicing into wires, so if there is a way to do it, please LMK and explain. The wires coming off the gauges aren't very long, so i assume they have to go somewhere in the dash.. Any help would be AWESOME!!! Thanks guys

Old 02-13-2009, 01:52 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Power should be switched power so it is on when you turn on the truck. Easiest is to use a fuse tap in the fuse box. Ground, find good metal and attach it. Dimmer, go for the light in the ashtray and use a posi-tap on the ashtray light. Viola - you are wired and ready to go.

The following users liked this post:
JTProuhet (02-14-2009)
Old 02-13-2009, 02:06 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 108 Likes on 106 Posts

SeaDrive has it right. However I used a painless wiring kit as I have so many accessories hooked up these days ( PAINLESS WIRING KIT - 4 HOT/3 CONSTANT (20 AMP)-Dodge Cummins and Ford Power Stroke Diesel Truck Accessories - Geno's Garage ). Also, I went off the cigarette lighter for the lights to the gauges, but the ashtray would work just as well. You could also go off the fuse box for it as well with a fuse tap ( I just try t avoid them as much as possible).
mishkaya

JTProuhet (02-14-2009)
Old 02-13-2009, 02:52 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SeaDrive
Power should be switched power so it is on when you turn on the truck. Easiest is to use a fuse tap in the fuse box. Ground, find good metal and attach it. Dimmer, go for the light in the ashtray and use a posi-tap on the ashtray light. Viola - you are wired and ready to go.

Ok, ya getting switched power isnt hard, just find a fuse that has power when key is on and find one that doesnt when key is off.... But i cant say that i have a light in my ashtray.... If mine does, then it is burnt out... But if it does, how do i tap into it? and what is a posi-tap?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

nope i just looked, i dont have a ashtray light

Last edited by JTProuhet; 02-13-2009 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-13-2009, 03:20 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Easiest route then is to go for the headlight switch and measure voltage on the wires until you find the one that controls the dash lights. That way the gauge lights only come on when the dash lights do, and dim with them if you prefer to dim them.

Posi-tap - check this out:
http://www.posi-lock.com/posiplug.html

Available at most autoparts stores. A better way to tap a wire than a scotch lock which almost always fail (eventually)

JTProuhet (02-14-2009)
Old 02-13-2009, 04:00 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Them things are pretty cool looking... On the phone with O, O, O, O'Reily's now seeing if they have any Posi-Locks!!! Thanks!!! youve been alot of help

Old 02-13-2009, 04:42 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

if you are looking for switched power, unused fuse location # 37 is switched power, dimmer sounds ike an easy grab from ashtray light as said above.

JTProuhet (02-14-2009)
Old 02-13-2009, 04:51 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikmaze
if you are looking for switched power, unused fuse location # 37 is switched power, dimmer sounds ike an easy grab from ashtray light as said above.
I dont have an ashtray light

Old 02-14-2009, 09:40 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't tell from your sig pic, but I just tapped into the marker lights on the roof. That way the gauges light up when I turn on the lights. It's not that far to tap into. I removed one of the marker lights, shoved the wire under the roof upholstery until I could grab it in the marker light hole and wired it into the hot wire. It doesnt dim, but it works just fine.

JTProuhet (02-14-2009)
Old 02-14-2009, 09:44 AM
High Tech Redneck

Received 496 Likes on 397 Posts

I just tapped into the dimmer right onto the switch assembly. For power I tapped into the aux. power outlet... Done

JTProuhet (02-14-2009)

Quick Reply: Installing Gauges on the Dimmer Switch