5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

High EGT Range

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 08:42 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The only time I got that dang underboost code was when I had my bd super b single. It always threw that code. But not the first time in months since putting the stocker back on. I was thinking about trying a new map sensor but just not sure about it.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Oh vwdieseljunkie, you prob know, but if u got a boost fooler the outlooks boost reads way low. Just making sure u knew.

Last edited by dalton06; 02-26-2009 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-26-2009, 06:19 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by staarma
For reference, the IAT (intake air temp) sensor is located on the cold air intake tube where your air filter is. The MAP sensor is on the intake manifold plane up near the rail pressure sensor.
For reference, the MAP\IAT is a dual sensor located on the intake manifold. The Inlet Air Temp is the ambient temp sensor and barometric pressure sensor located on the air box horn.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:50 PM
Hut
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

vwdieseljunkie,
Not sure it would work or not but while you wait for a new IC you might be able to make a clamp across the width of the blown out/repaired one to help hold it together.
It looks like you could take some flat stock aluminum or similar material across the ends of the tanks and use 1/4-20 threaded rod across the width in 2 or 3 spots and sandwich the old IC pulling the tanks together.
If that makes sense it may help keep it together until you get a replacement.
may not be room between to fit it though; just a thought....

Old 02-26-2009, 11:41 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I do have a all stock full steel IC that i will sell u if u want it Pm me.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:28 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I must admit that I didn't think the patch job would last this long, but it has. Made it over to Baton Rouge, and while I was there I picked up a stock intercooler from the stealership. I refuse to drop $1500~$2500 on an aftermarket intercooler. C'mon, have they lost their minds? These things should be priced only a little bit more than a radiator. What a racket! Even the all-metal stocker from the stealership was $800.

I'll get the new cooler slid in there today, and store my plastic one for an emergency spare. Guess while I'm at it I'll get the 35's put back on too, tired of looking like a roller skate or a railroad service truck with the stockers under a 5" lift.

I've driven the truck so long with the busted cooler that I forgot how much power this monster really had. Wow.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:45 AM
Hut
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Wow $800 for a stock replacement that's crazy....
Glad your back in business.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:02 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

sorry for chiming in late on this but wow plastic endtanks my 04 came with all metal and is welded all the way around so did my 07 wounder why

Old 02-27-2009, 08:29 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by 07redsled
sorry for chiming in late on this but wow plastic endtanks my 04 came with all metal and is welded all the way around so did my 07 wounder why
It beats the crap outta me, I don't even like plastic tanks on my radiators. Trying to cut corners and cut costs at our expense, I'm sure. Just like the GM gassers getting plastic intake manifolds and fuel injectors. I wouldn't doubt they would have plastic turbos if they could.

Personally, the way I look at it, this should have been a major warranty issue. If the turbo could not pressurize the intercooler enough to make up for the breach, then the intake could have been breathing un-filtered air. That could cut a huge chunk out of the engine's life span if it was sucking airborne debris in. But, even if that did happen, it wouldn't be the crappy, exploded intercooler's fault, it would be because of my AFE stg II, I have no doubt.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:32 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

stupid factory and your so right they would of blamed it in something. as far as the unfiltered air i wouldnt worry bout it i talked to a former cummins r&d guy he said dont worry cause the boost was forcing out thus the only time for dirt to get in would be when engine was off. good luck with the new cooler

Old 02-28-2009, 10:28 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by 07redsled
stupid factory and your so right they would of blamed it in something. as far as the unfiltered air i wouldnt worry bout it i talked to a former cummins r&d guy he said dont worry cause the boost was forcing out thus the only time for dirt to get in would be when engine was off. good luck with the new cooler
I was more worried about running at idle. Even though the turbo is moving air at idle, the size of the gap between the cap and the core would have been sufficient enough that still makes me worry. It's about time for an oil change anyways, and I'll see what it looks like and capture what's in the filter to see if anything substantial shows up.

I don't have the new IC installed yet, it's still in the box on the back seat. I meant to deal with that yesterday but got tied up trying to get my rear stock wheels off so I could re-mount my 35's. The hub-centric stockers did NOT want to give up the death hold they had on the hub. My fault because they were tight going on. It only takes a small amount of rust scale and dirt to make them stick.

The new IC is the welded unit. The replacement part numbers for the intercooler has changed several times in the last few years evidently, and you are not supposed to be able to buy a plastic one anymore. They have been super ceded and phased out. Talk about a pissed customer if this happened to them, and the stealership reinstalled another plastic IC and it happened again! I'd like to be a fly on the wall at that shop!

Quick Reply: High EGT Range