Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/)
-   -   Noisy 4 wheel drive (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/19862-noisy-4-wheel-drive.html)

Tyber 12-20-2008 08:58 PM

Noisy 4 wheel drive

Just curious as I am still relatively new to owning a 4x4 and it has been getting down to -30C here in Calgary. I have noticed a bit of a clunking when I engage 4x4 high and low ranges, but have only noticed it since the temperature has dropped. I am assuming that it is just because the fluid has gotten so thick from the cold. What do you think??? Oh and I did check the fluid in my front diff and it is fine.

wildbill 12-20-2008 09:00 PM

Bad u-joints, transfer case could be getting a little sloppy. Is it a floor shift or a knob on the dash?

Tyber 12-23-2008 05:19 PM

It is a floor shift, and now that it has warmed up a little the noise is a lot less. I have had the truck since May, and have never noticed any noises before. It shifts in and out of forr wheel no problem and doesn't kick out on its own ever.

wildbill 12-23-2008 06:54 PM

If your going from high to low, you pretty much have to stop first, put the transmission into N, then go from L to H, or vice versa. To get it to shift out of 4H after putting it in 2H, let off the throttle a little bit. It should then pop out. If not, goose it slightly.

Tyber 12-23-2008 07:17 PM

Yes, I know that, but that doesn't explain the noises after I engage the system, As I sad I do not have any issues shifting the system into 4 hi or 4 Lo

wildbill 12-23-2008 07:44 PM

Is it kinda like a grinding noise, or does it sound like a loose chain?? When was the last time the fluid was checked or changed out?? Sorry I had to ask.

Tyber 12-23-2008 08:07 PM

Honestly kind of a hard one to identify, it is almost like a grinding noise but more like a contiuous clunk. I actually just checked the fluid 3 days ago as I was afraid that it may have been the culprit, but my levels were good, and the oil didn't seem burnt and the magnetic drain plug only had a slight coating of metal, which as I was told is normal wear and tear.
The oil was the consistancy of really think pancake syrup though, so i thought maybe that was the cause....keep in mind it has been -30C here, which is about -15F

wildbill 12-23-2008 11:17 PM

Dodge likes to run ATF+4 in the t-cases, which I was told was dino oil. You can run any synthetic oil in them, I believe.

TCBROWN 12-23-2008 11:27 PM

does the noise only hapen when you engage it ir does it continue as you drive

Tyber 12-24-2008 01:19 PM

The noise is only while the truck is moving, but as I found out today, now that itwarmed up drastically outside, it is being caused by the cold....The sound has stopped, and I talked to 4 wheeler shop and they said that it is common for the front axle to be loud in the cold that we get. Thanks for all your help