Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/)
-   -   Texas laws exhaust (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/17962-texas-laws-exhaust.html)

bway1341 11-02-2008 09:25 AM

Texas laws exhaust

My wife is in Texas at school for a few months. She has a Cummins registered in IOWA. Can Texas police make her come in for a smog test?

She know she will fail it cause it all straight pipe. I really don't see how they can make her come in.

Any thoughts?????????:w2:

2500HeavyDuty 11-02-2008 10:08 AM

i go a straight pipe, no problems

Redpatcher0481 11-02-2008 01:09 PM

Texas does not emission test diesels.

Which vehicles are required to have the emissions test? 1. Vehicles registered in designated counties. Designated counties include:
Brazoria, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Montgomery, Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, Travis, Williamson and El Paso counties.
2. Gasoline powered vehicles. Diesel powered vehicles and motorcycles are exempt from emissions testing, but are still required to have the annual safety inspection.
3. Vehicles 2 through 24 years old OR upon expiration of the 2 year initial inspection sticker.

But you can be reported
Smoking Vehicle Program 1-800-453-SMOG - Texas Commission on Environmental Quality - www.tceq.state.tx.us

cummins24 11-02-2008 01:25 PM

I doubt if you would have any problems

Can Out of State Vehicles be Reported?
The TCEQ's Smoking Vehicle Program is not designed to accept reports on vehicles that are registered outside of Texas. The TCEQ does not have the resources or the authority to retrieve data on vehicle owners from other states.

However, state law prohibits any person from operating a motor vehicle emitting visible smoke for 10 seconds or longer on Texas roadways. Therefore, law enforcement authorities statewide do have the authority to issue citations to the drivers of out-of-state vehicles if they are observed violating this law.

solarwarp 11-10-2008 06:18 PM

Is soot classified as smoke?

sidekick 11-10-2008 07:07 PM

dont think they can make you but i do know here in va if thour vehicle is to tall for the lift laws they can still give you a ticket even if you are just passing through

thebreeze04 11-12-2008 07:36 PM

I'm pretty sure they wont say anything there are lots of loud trucks in TX. State law states that any vehicle that was equipped with a muffler as O.E. has to have one to pass inspection. But last month mine past without one, the guy was more interested in my fuel mileage, his truck is an '05 CTD. so its kinda up to the cop if he just being Bufford T. Justice ,or let it go Joe

Supercharged_Duramax 11-12-2008 10:16 PM

Driving in Texas constitutes acknowledgment of laws. Out of state drives are held to laws in this state. So yes, emissions could be checked particularly if smoke is visible while driving for more than the stated 10 seconds. This is most likely a large city thing. Out here in West Texas the officers ask how the hell they can make theirs smoke like yours.

DG527 11-13-2008 07:57 PM

Unless your truck is extremely loud or producing a large amount of smoke, I won't give it a second look. In twelve years, I've probably written a half dozen citations for defective exhaust. My advice, don't draw attention to yourself.

Remember, it's not illegal until you get caught!!!:w2:

2500HeavyDuty 11-14-2008 12:17 AM

:iws: