Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/)
-   -   Fuel Pressures (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/1438-fuel-pressures.html)

Duallydog 04-19-2007 04:20 PM

Fuel Pressures

I think this is the first thread I've done on this site. So out of desperation of something to talk about:duh3: . What fuel pressure readings are ya'll getting with a stock lift pump? (I finally have a sensor reading realistic so now I'm curious)

MadCap 04-19-2007 06:14 PM

My highest was 9 PSI just cruising and down to 1 PSI with a good shot of throttle with the Quad Race turned on.

Wyatt Earp 04-19-2007 06:21 PM

In which truck?

VP pumps should be 14 - 18 psi at idle and 11 at WOT. DC will tell you WOT is no less than 6.
CP pumps should be 6 - 9 psi at idle and no less than 4 at WOT. DC will tell similar but they'll say flow is more important...

If you have a 2006 and you see 1 psi anywhere you have issues with the system. You will run the CP3 pump dry and it will be $$ to fix.

dieseljunkie 04-19-2007 08:40 PM

Mine runs between 9-10 at idle, and at WOT it gets around 5.
Scott

TEXASPOWER 04-19-2007 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Wyatt Earp (Post 15553)
In which truck?

VP pumps should be 14 - 18 psi at idle and 11 at WOT. DC will tell you WOT is no less than 6.
CP pumps should be 6 - 9 psi at idle and no less than 4 at WOT. DC will tell similar but they'll say flow is more important...

If you have a 2006 and you see 1 psi anywhere you have issues with the system. You will run the CP3 pump dry and it will be $$ to fix.

ive ran my 06 s0 dry it died , wat are u talkin about $$ to fix if u run the pump dry? not being rude just asking for knowledge
thanks tanner

Luvnacummins 04-19-2007 10:02 PM

Run right at 10 on the commander and analog guage!:j:

Wyatt Earp 04-20-2007 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by TEXASPOWER (Post 15655)
ive ran my 06 s0 dry it died , wat are u talkin about $$ to fix if u run the pump dry? not being rude just asking for knowledge
thanks tanner

Nothing rude about that. It's an honest question.

If you ran your CP3 injection pump so hard the truck stalled on you then you've got supply issues. Be very careful with that kind of performance - all it is going to do is burn a hole in your pocket book - esp. if you have a programmer on board!

I don't know where you are located down south there but looking up Muscle Trucks Performance in Texas and Performance Car and Truck in CO and you will be taken care of. I would expect you to be looking at $1800 to $2300 for a new pump, installation and maybe even a fuel pressure gauge. Of course I don't really know because it is USD.

So back to why: Your truck has 2 pumps a lift pump or fuel pump (in your case in the tank) and an injection pump located on the motor. the LP supplies the fuel to the CP3 and the CP3 does that for the rail and the injectors. If the LP is dead or dying (they do this often) you will likely see codes but also plenty of white smoke under acceleration because the CP3 is lacking fuel supply. As the supply goes south the CP3 dries out to the point that the internals are destroyed and you have no pump left. Without this pump the truck WILL not run.

If you ran it dry 1x that was 1x too many and I would seriously consider exploring your options. You will need that pump replaced. Look at replacing the LP as well with somethnig better than stock. Look to FASS, BD, Glacier, Carter and others to provide a system that will work OUTSIDE the tank but mounted at the tank so as to no operate in a vacuum.

Hopefully that's not too much to take in. Need any help just drop me a note.:c:

Duallydog 04-20-2007 01:00 PM

I meant the on the 305hp CR, but it would be handy to know the pressures of the others.

MadCap 04-20-2007 01:56 PM

This is exactly why I upgraded to the Eliminator. I will never have a fuel pressure problem again. The Eliminator is amazing.

The stock lift pump may be adequate for stock power levels, but if you add any power you will see it drop below 5 PSI every time you take it to WOT. My pressure used to drop to 2 PSI even on the 60 HP setting on the Quad Race. I don't think anything was wrong with my LP, it is just an inadequate design for increased power. Just cruising, it is fine, but you really have to watch the pressure when you get on it.