Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/)
-   -   High coolant temp under load (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/136980-high-coolant-temp-under-load.html)

sinwagon 12-28-2019 01:49 PM

High coolant temp under load

New radiator, fan, fan clutch, water pump and thermostat. Any hard pull with the rpm above 2300 rpm and the temp gauge climbs to about the 3/4 area of the gauge, I'm usually off the throttle by then and the temp comes down. Any ideas? 190k auto trans efilive

Bigg Redd 12-30-2019 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by sinwagon (Post 1167687)
New radiator, fan, fan clutch, water pump and thermostat. Any hard pull with the rpm above 2300 rpm and the temp gauge climbs to about the 3/4 area of the gauge, I'm usually off the throttle by then and the temp comes down. Any ideas? 190k auto trans efilive

That sounds perfectly normal to me if youre towing heavy and going up a steep grade. You indicate "hard pull" but that's open to interpretation. Do you mean hard towing, or as in hauling some serious ass?? You indicate 3/4 area of the gauge.....what temp are you looking at? Auto or manual trans? Mods? A bit more info might be helpful. :c:

01trailerpuller 12-31-2019 02:21 PM

With all your replacements the next step is an electric fan. They aren't expensive and they are easy to install.

sinwagon 01-04-2020 10:52 AM

It's any time the rpms stay steady above 2200 and not fast enough for an upshift. Loaded it does it faster but does it empty too. Stock engine components built automatic. Efilive tuning but I dont really like the tunes so might find a different tuner.

Bigg Redd 01-06-2020 02:33 PM

Is that radiator the same size as your old one, same dimensions, core size (thickness)? What is your speed at 2200 & 2300 RPMs? Whats your EGTs at that speed? Im thinking a big too much fuel, causing higher coolant temps and higher egts. :humm:

sinwagon 03-16-2020 07:46 PM

Radiator is same size just all aluminum instead of plastic tanks. was doing this before replacing radiator. according to the gauge i have the egts aren't extreme. is it possible that i got a bad/wrong rotation water pump? I do think it might be getting close to due for injectors as i have a weird startup miss every once in a while, also leaning to it just being a crap EFI live tune due to the guy that tuned it was more familiar with duramax and he wont answer calls to retune so i will have to find a different tune and try that.

Bigg Redd 03-18-2020 11:53 AM

Try going back to stock tune for a while and monitor engine parameters, to see what happens. your tune may be over fueling, causing your heating issues.

sinwagon 03-22-2020 05:40 PM

Changed the thermostat again on a whim must have gotten a bad one temp seems to be normal on an uphill pull now. i still want a different efi live tune though