Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/)
-   -   tuner/program question (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/136178-tuner-program-question.html)

johnnyreb 04-01-2019 12:21 PM

tuner/program question

So I recently stepped up from 93' d250 5.9 with 6 speed to a 2005 5.9L with auto. Apparently at some point in its life it had a bully dog tuner in it , which I found the power cord for still under the dash and decal on side ( remainder stolen at auction lot presumably )
So my question is. Are any tune that was installed with the bully dog still on the ecm? Or when it was removed did it return to stock tune?
I have to admit it moves down the road pretty well, and can hit 70+ by the bottom of the interstate on ramp.
Thanks for any help
One more thing Bully dog, Banks power or edge? Mostly wanting egt, trans temp and post psi, but plan to tow 7,000 lbs trailer with it, which it does fairly easily right now.

11B/11C 04-03-2019 02:20 PM

If you're just looking for a monitor, the edge insight cts 2 is a nice monitor. If you want tuning, HPT and smarty/MM3 are top of the line. Just make sure you have a reputable tuner write your tunes.

johnnyreb 04-04-2019 09:30 PM

Thanks 11B/11C. I have looked at the insight cts2. I definitely want monitoring and certainly don't want major tunes. just economy empty and power when towing my 7,000 lbs camper.

11B/11C 04-05-2019 01:02 AM

Then i would look into the smarty touch. Edge programmers tend to run warm.

johnnyreb 04-05-2019 09:56 PM

Thanks for the tip.

bryan.condel 07-09-2019 02:24 PM

Confused

I bought a 06 6.9 manual
It has a daiblo puck on it so when you start the grid heater is on and songs like hell at you it doesnt seem to have the throttle response like it should but now when you unplug it (puck) the grid light goes away truck runs great throttle response is on point but when your running 70 the motor sound like it screaming and I'm getting
P0073
P0107
Codes I've tried to clear but reader says erase
Any suggestions I also called Diablo they said to check for vaccum leak 🤷🏽*♂️

11B/11C 07-22-2019 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by bryan.condel (Post 1159934)
I bought a 06 6.9 manual
It has a daiblo puck on it so when you start the grid heater is on and songs like hell at you it doesnt seem to have the throttle response like it should but now when you unplug it (puck) the grid light goes away truck runs great throttle response is on point but when your running 70 the motor sound like it screaming and I'm getting
P0073
P0107
Codes I've tried to clear but reader says erase
Any suggestions I also called Diablo they said to check for vaccum leak 🤷🏽*♂️

Have you researched the DTCs?

Rob_D 07-26-2019 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyreb (Post 1154901)
So I recently stepped up from 93' d250 5.9 with 6 speed to a 2005 5.9L with auto. Apparently at some point in its life it had a bully dog tuner in it , which I found the power cord for still under the dash and decal on side ( remainder stolen at auction lot presumably )
So my question is. Are any tune that was installed with the bully dog still on the ecm? Or when it was removed did it return to stock tune?
I have to admit it moves down the road pretty well, and can hit 70+ by the bottom of the interstate on ramp.
Thanks for any help
One more thing Bully dog, Banks power or edge? Mostly wanting egt, trans temp and post psi, but plan to tow 7,000 lbs trailer with it, which it does fairly easily right now.

Even if the bullydog left a tune behind, you can still get back to stock with an MM3 tuner and free recovery file. Or you can take a trip to the dealer and have them flash it to stock. I would consider doing this because you have no idea what programming was left behind and it may not be safe for your transmission. Also if you don't have egt monitoring you're in real danger while towing of damaging your engine. You can get over 1450° real fast in 4th going up a hill while towing on a "hot" tune.
Since you have an 05 auto, I'll throw this out: https://www.mm3tuning.com this tuning is very safe and ideal for towing; it fixes the whacky stock 48RE shift points. At any rate, good luck with the new truck and congrats!