5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Symptom: Diesel fuel in Crankcas. need guidence/advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 09:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Symptom: Diesel fuel in Crankcas. need guidence/advice

Symptom: Diesel in Crankcase

I have never touched a diesel engine before, but I am reasonably competent behind the right tools. I am hoping someone can help me in figuring out if am approaching my problem correctly.

I just bought a 2003 5.9 HO 6sp that has (Developed?) an issue. When purchased the oil was at the correct level and reasonably clean not fresh. Upon changing the oil yesterday, I came to need more then 3 gallons of containers for my used oil (By about 3 Quarts!). Smelling like diesel I double checked the level letting it run for only 45 seconds and parked it. I browsed you tube and a few post, I ordered a injector leak kit (the cheapest start) From what I can understand, this will only show if fuel is leaking into the top of the head and of course mixing with oil at this point. I would also more then likely purchase some dye and put it into the fuel filter to help identify any other topside leak. I have read about two other possibilities.
2) stuck injector
3) Injection pump leaking at the front of the pump into what must be the front case cover??..

Without guidance I guess I would pull the injection pump inspect it and verify a bad seal or not and regardless replace any seals and reinstall. Open stuck or leaking injectors resulting in fuel dumping into the cylinder has me stumped as how to verify.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:14 AM

I should clarify. I only ran the motor for 45 seconds after the oil and filter change.In addition I did not thinking about it. I am assuming one can not due a leak down test on an individual injector due to the common rail setup.

Old 12-12-2017, 05:39 AM

So I have pulled the valve cover off first just to look for the obvious. Nothing came screaming out at me. I then noted that when the ignition is on in the run position there is a ticking noise coming from the valve-train. After grabbing my high-tech listen device, (2" PVC) it is the #1 cylinder injector. Since I can not here what injectors sound like when they are firing, I will have to assume that is what it is doing? Can I verify that this is an injector issue and rule out that something it telling it to fire with a digital meter?

Appreciating any guidance