5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Bucking, missing, pinging, black smoke. Help

Old 07-22-2017, 12:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bucking, missing, pinging, black smoke. Help

I'll do so searching, but if anyone wants to chime in directly I would appreciate it. 2006 Ram 2500 all stock with the exception of Exhaust, cold air intake, and Edge EZ. 243k miles....

Sooo driving back home to Oregon today from Nor-Cal all is doing great as usual until major run ability problems. Here where the conditions. Cruise control set @ 70mph, 90 degrees outside, just above 1/4 tank fuel remaining since fill up in Willitis Ca. Running empty NOT hauling or towing.
So here's what happened. was blasting along, than than a huge kick like a massive cyl dump miss, than starts bucking and missing bad, starts pinging real bad, I cancel the cruise and give it 3/4 throttle the truck takes off into run-away mode gets to 85mph , large black smoke. I was about to shut the key off when it stops and calms down, but still missing. So I look at my traffic conditions and decide to lay into see see what happens, I go WOT and get a huge plume of black smoke again and massive detonation(pinging), bucking, cutting out, and again run-a-way. If i brought it down under 60 and low pedal maintenance she cruised fine, but the moment it's put under a load or heavy pedal all would start again, I was able to make it home, but there is a problem. No check engine light, no funny warning lights, water temp normal, oil level normal, and oil pressure normal.
So If anyone knows of a thread here on this please share with me or let me know your thoughts. Thanks

Old 07-22-2017, 09:18 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

What level was the edge set to? Do you have a rail pressure gauge? Not sure about pinging noise, could have been a side effect of running rough but my guess is the lift pump is taking a dump and can't keep up with fueling. Have you replaced your lift pump yet?

Old 07-22-2017, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by CumminsCoalRoller24/7
What level was the edge set to? Do you have a rail pressure gauge? Not sure about pinging noise, could have been a side effect of running rough but my guess is the lift pump is taking a dump and can't keep up with fueling. Have you replaced your lift pump yet?
Haven't done anything yet, I don't know what direction to go in. The edge is just a EZ so it has a 3way toggle switch. I've never changed it. It's on the middle position which I believe is +100. I don't have any gauges other than the factory. Where is the lift pump located?

Old 07-22-2017, 12:20 PM

Okay, update... Figured i would remove the Edge Ez first to eliminate it as a problem... Well guess what took a ****.. Yep truck now runs great and all is well.. Edge EZ, meet the trash can.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:59 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

That's the best spot for it. Do yourself a favor and get EFI Live!

Old 07-22-2017, 10:29 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your going to buy a tuner buy a smarty jr.
The support staff at smarty are so good and helpful
They will help you tune your truck the right way

Old 07-23-2017, 05:22 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chopforman
If your going to buy a tuner buy a smarty jr.
The support staff at smarty are so good and helpful
They will help you tune your truck the right way
06+ TrUcks EFI Live offers the best tuning available

Search this Thread