5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

5.9 turbo intake tube baffle.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 12:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.9 turbo intake tube baffle.

I see on here that everyone thinks the device inside the turbo intake tube is a noise baffle. I'm hopefully going to lay some knowledge upon thee. That is not a baffle. What it is actually is an air turning vane. It will not restrict noise or air flow. What it does do is keep the column of air stable in the elbow before the turbo so the air enters the turbo evenly across the entire intake surface of the turbo.
All things are effected by centrifugal force, even air. The air pressure will be greater on the outside of the elbow as well as air speed and slower on the inside with less pressure. The turning vanes help keep the speed and pressure even when exiting the elbow and entering the turbo.
Hope this helps someone.
Thanks for reading,
Rue

Old 07-10-2017, 06:29 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 310 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Unrue
I see on here that everyone thinks the device inside the turbo intake tube is a noise baffle. I'm hopefully going to lay some knowledge upon thee. That is not a baffle. What it is actually is an air turning vane. It will not restrict noise or air flow. What it does do is keep the column of air stable in the elbow before the turbo so the air enters the turbo evenly across the entire intake surface of the turbo.
All things are effected by centrifugal force, even air. The air pressure will be greater on the outside of the elbow as well as air speed and slower on the inside with less pressure. The turning vanes help keep the speed and pressure even when exiting the elbow and entering the turbo.
Hope this helps someone.
Thanks for reading,
Rue
...........um.........ok......