Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/)
-   -   Injector contribution test result. (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/132160-injector-contribution-test-result.html)

RayS 11-23-2016 07:19 PM

Injector contribution test result.

Had the local dealer run the test today. The best they could tell me is injectors need to come out and get bench tested and cleaned for 900 bucks. That info cost 200 alone. Can one of you guys look at the numbers and give me a idea. I have no problem buying new ones just don't want to throw money out the window. (1) 100 (2)99 (3) 100 (4)106 (5)95 (6) 104. Thanks for the help.

cerberus60 11-23-2016 09:23 PM

Unless you only have minimal miles on them don't bother with testing. You can clean them yourself with a cleaner in the fuel filter housing plus a heavy dose of additives. If that doesn't help buy a NEW set of Bosch injectors and save the $$.

You have at least 2 out of the 6 that are struggling to maintain a balance, could be just sticky or wear induced. They should have run a rpm drop on kill with the contribution percentages but of course if the tech doesn't know how to read the results it would not help.

Dealer is almost useless with diagnostics, they send them out to some other under trained under equipped shop to tell confirm they can sell you over priced reman junk.

RayS 11-23-2016 10:11 PM

Yea the dealer was not much help. I do not know the history of the truck, and it has 140k on the counter. Are the higher number injectors failing to the low?

cerberus60 11-24-2016 08:29 AM

That is in the mileage range that problems can happen if care was not taken with fuel quality and a consistent additive package used.

The contribution test is measuring solenoid duty cycle as the ECU attempts to maintain idle at 750 rpms. The ECU can adjust somewhat to compensate for balance and it may take up to 2 injection events to do it. There is a limit to what it can pull back both high and low and physical operation will impact what it tries to do. Keeping that in mind and looking at the firing order, it looks like 4 and 6 are the issue and 5 is the result of over fueling on 4 and 6. An rpm drop on each cylinder with the below rates would tell more about which ones is the real issue.

(1) 100
(5) 95
(3) 100
(6) 104
(2) 99
(4) 106

I would first try a cleaning and heavy dose of additives and drive the snot out of it for a while if possible to see if anything changes. Are you seeing ANY other symptoms?

RayS 11-24-2016 09:58 AM

Symtom, hard to pin down because I just bought this truck a few weeks ago. My only basis for comparison is my old 02 24 valve that was smooth as glass. This truck seems like it has a slight rough idle once its warmed up. On cold starts on chilly morning it blows white smoke for a few minutes at idle but clears up when I take off. Might throw a slight gray haze on accel but no black smoke since I removed the edge chip. I changed the oil out the other day as it seemed real thin, the new oil does not seem to show sign of fuel, dillution or rising.
There is a fairly good vibe that comes in around 1600-1800 rpm in neutral. Feels like a imbalance of some sort. Power seems real good considering I just climbed out of a old powerstroke. Fuel mileage hangs around 15 mpg combined. I just added a remote filter head with a 3 micron filter ahead of the factory one. I filled it with seafoam to hit the injectors with a good clean. That seemed to smooth up the idle. Thanks for reading all this.

cerberus60 11-24-2016 11:17 AM

Grey haze, white smoke on cold start, vibration just off idle, all indications of injector imbalance which the contribution test shows. I would suggest a set of NEW Bosch injectors in the near future.

RayS 11-24-2016 11:33 AM

Ok thanks, kinda what I suspected. I can get Bosch remans from a cummins dealer threw my work for 290 each. Are these not good? There new price is like 400 per injector. I plan on getting some gauges to keep a eye on things. Is there a fuel psi gauge I should consider? Or just keep clean filters handy. I have read the 3rd gen trucks are not prone to trashing the injector pump if the lift pump fails.

cerberus60 11-24-2016 11:40 AM

For the cost of the remans you can usually buy the BMS50 injectors and they are NEW. The caveat is they are the 143 pattern, a programmer that allows timing adjustments really make them work better but they do work fine with stock tuning.

The Bosch Tier 3 remans are not that great, they work, they run, but the contribution percentages don't look that good, they are noisy, and still had issues with vibes. The Tier 1 remans are pretty much as good as production run but they cost right at what a new injector does, doesn't really make sense to spend that much for used.

RayS 11-24-2016 11:54 AM

Where would I find these BMS50 injectors? I dont really plan on running a programer as Im pretty happy with the trucks power. I may add a better air filter to the stock housing as I run alot of dusty roads.

cerberus60 11-24-2016 01:01 PM

Diesel auto Power, Engineered diesel, etc. Check thru your work and see what kind of price they will give you. Any dealer that can get remans or new can get the BMS50, they are the injector used in anything except the except the passenger vehicles. Most of the places online sell them for about the cost of the remans.