5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Fuel in oil and vibration and and and

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 10:48 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel in oil and vibration and and and

Hello all, I just bought this 06 auto 4x4 a couple weeks ago. I have been chasing a engine vibe that shows up at idle and 1600 rpm. I also noticed the oil was higher then the mark on the stick, so I did the oil drip on paper trick and I'm getting a halo around each drip after a few minutes. The idle on the truck seems a bit rough as well. Currently no smoke except cold morning starts when its about 40 out. Blows white smoke for a few minutes then it goes away. I have a edge 3 position EZ chip and when I throttle it it will blow some black smoke. After removing the edge no smoke. I also do not seem to have blow by running with the oil cap pulled. I'm taking the truck to the dealer in a few days to have them drop test the injectors. Am I on the right track here? I changed the factory fuel filter out for a Baldwin and installed a fuel filter head and 3 micron filter setup from Vulcan. Any words of wisdom? Thanks

Last edited by RayS; 11-19-2016 at 10:51 PM.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:36 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Sounds like it- probably a crack injector which is leaking fuel into the oil. Could be a loose connector tube also. When the dealer says you need 6 new injectors buy according to your future power goals. I would ask for the variance #s too to make sure they aren't blowing smoke. They should all be within 4% of each other. If you do buy new injectors Always buy NEW injectors and not remans! There are vendors on here like jkidd with Diesel Auto Power who has great prices for us bombers

Old 11-23-2016, 09:30 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

Make them replace the injectors with NEW Bosch units, not the dealer reman junk. If you got a warranty make them live up to it.

Loose cross over tube won't leak fuel into oil, it is either a cracked injector, injector o-ring, or seal on the CP-3.

Old 12-02-2016, 09:15 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

You have an injector that has hung open. Inadequate filtering of our **** poor fuel is the culprit. You're on the right track with the aftermarket filter...buy all new injectors, and consider a smarty programmer in lieu of the edge. Edge raises rail pressure, smarty plays more with fuel mapping. Black smoke is ok, but it means that you are over fueling and as a result, increasing egt's fouling the oil. Good luck!