5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

DPS Twin towing kit install/review

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 08:46 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DPS Twin towing kit install/review

Almost a year after I ordered my kit - I finally found the Want-to to get my twin kit installed.
Here is a picture of the boxed kit when it arrived last year: https://www.dieselbombers.com/show-t...-more-air.html

This is a BDS stocker/s475 towing kit. Overall I'm pretty happy with fit finish and performance of the kit. I did have a few challenges along the way.

1. An intake pipe coupler was missing out of the kit! And of course since I didn't catch it until now, they charged me for the replacement!
2. The oil drain gasket for the s475 was really cheesy I replaced it with an OEM Cummins gasket.
3. The v-band clamp they supplied to connect the s475 to the cast exhaust elbow didn't fit, I bought an oem replacement from the Cummins dealer.
4. The length of exhaust wrap they supplied to wrap the hotpipe wasn't nearly long enough, I bought a 15' roll from the local hotrod shop.

The fit of the components is pretty good, no major challenges getting everything to align up and bolt together. Highly recommended to get someone to help lift/align everything so you can get the bolts started. I managed to do it by myself, but it would have been much easier with a helper. Also while your truck is apart, it would be a good idea to replace the damit hose, mine was leaking and it was much easier to replace with the stock exhaust manifold off the truck.

So far I'm happy with the performance/drivability of the kit, I've noticed a pretty significant reduction of EGTs when driving with no load. Hopefully I see a the same improvement in EGTs when towing. I'm on stock injectors and stock fueling with an Edge juice/attitude tuner. The kit lights off pretty early, I can definitely hear the stocker whistle up first, and then almost immediately the s475 wakes up with a deaper whistle, The kit has an interesting 2-tone whistle at full tilt, it may get annoying while towing. I'll probably replace the silence ring on the stocker to see if it quiets down some. With the edge on #3 (drive setting) the truck doesn't quite make the same boost (37 with the stocker 32 on the twin kit) I have to crank the edge up to #5 to hit 37 psi. With stock fueling there isn't any sign of hazing/smoking at partial throttle or wot. This is what I wanted as I still have to pass emissions Opacity test where I live. I suspect that a set of 50hp injectors will really wake this kit up.

So far I'm happy with my DPS kit, even given the issues listed above.

John-

Attached Thumbnails DPS Twin towing kit install/review-dodge-ram-twin-kit-install-1-600x800-.jpg   DPS Twin towing kit install/review-dodge-ram-twin-kit-install-2-800x600-.jpg   DPS Twin towing kit install/review-dodge-ram-twin-kit-install-3-600x800-.jpg   DPS Twin towing kit install/review-dodge-ram-twin-kit-install-4-800x600-.jpg   DPS Twin towing kit install/review-dodge-ram-twin-kit-install-5-600x800-.jpg  

DPS Twin towing kit install/review-dodge-ram-twin-kit-install-6-600x800-.jpg   DPS Twin towing kit install/review-dodge-ram-twin-kit-install-7-600x800-.jpg   DPS Twin towing kit install/review-dodge-ram-twin-kit-install-8-800x600-.jpg  
Old 09-01-2016, 07:02 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

your moving more volume and cooler air so you need less boost to make the power which is good because its easier on everything. I was disappointed I was only making 48psi with my single 64.5 on my 03 compared to 42 max with the stocker. 6 psi difference isn't that big but this 64.5 is obviously making a ton more power just by the feel of it and its still wastegated I could squeeze some more out of it if I wanted to but Ill be doing a cp3 before I get back to the turbo

Old 05-31-2017, 10:07 PM
Diesel Fan

Update - Absolutely ecstatic with the towing performance of this kit, night and day difference - no more paranoid nursing of EGTs on long uphill hauls.

Before the kit install the Edge on Tow/Haul mode (Level 2) would easily raise EGTs up out of sight! Post kit install I absolutely cannot get EGTs above 1000* with the Edge on Level 5. Tons of towing power, I pretty much can accelerate at will on even the worst hills, spool is easily as fast as the stock turbo, maybe better. Best yet towing fuel economy has gone up a bit more than 2 mpg.

Long term kit fit and finish has been great, absolutely no oil, exhaust or boost leaks.

Extremely happy with the kits performance! Especially given how few supporting mods my truck has.

There are two (kinda) downsides though:
  1. The Oil filter is a bit harder to change, there is room to change it, space is just a 'bit' tighter than before.
  2. The Wife keeps asking what that 2-tone whistle is! - She gets a bit annoyed with the noise, I just grin!
John-

Attached Thumbnails DPS Twin towing kit install/review-capture.jpg  

Last edited by JohnnyTSi; 05-31-2017 at 10:10 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:41 PM
Diesel Fan

Another update - Towed my car to a race last weekend, on the way back the long haul up out of Vantage (Westbound I-90) is one of the most brutal uphill tows in the area (3-6% for about 10 miles). Same experience, EGTs just hovering in the high 900s, low 1000 degrees while bombing up the hill at 70mph.

Towing nirvana!

John-

Old 04-09-2018, 05:51 PM
Diesel Fan

Almost a year since my last update - Towed my car trailer to Spokane and back to the first race of the season, Bombed up and out of the Vantage canyon at 60mph with EGTs just over 1000*.

The kit is still going strong, no exhaust, boost or oil leaks. The exhaust manifold is finally burning off the black coating and is starting to show a rusty cast iron look. The only real gripe I have is that the Air filter is a b1tch to clean, 3rd time around I just bought a new one.

John-

Last edited by JohnnyTSi; 04-09-2018 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:14 PM
Diesel Fan

Wow - hard to believe so much time has gone by! The DPS kit is still going strong, no exhaust, boost or oil leaks.

John-

Old 08-05-2021, 12:06 PM
Diesel Fan

Dang - another couple of years and the DPS kit is still doing its thing, no drama at all. I think the Torque Converter is finally giving up as I get a bit of shudder on high gear, high load towing scenarios. Probably time to get an upgraded transmission and converter.

hmmm, then upgraded injectors/pump?

John-

Old 03-23-2022, 08:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi John. You have had the dps kit on for quite a while now. Have you done any supporting mods yet? I'm getting ready to install this kit on my 03. How is the noise level in the cab under load? I'm really anxious to get it done and your updates on your experience are awesome!

Old 03-23-2022, 09:33 AM
Diesel Fan

No changes - at 115k now and the truck is still running strong with basically the DPS towing kit, a DPS Arctic air intake and an Edge tuner.

Still able to tow a significant load without worrying about EGTs
This combination gives plenty of towing grunt so I have no reason to add injectors/pump/lift pumps etc.
A trans fluid flush improved the shudder but I suspect it just postponed the inevitable!
I expected the transmission to give up by now, I'm sure driving style has a huge role in transmission longevity.
No leaks anywhere - pretty happy with the fit and finish on the kit.

Can't go wrong with this kit as long as it fits your goals.

John-​​​​​​​

Old 03-23-2022, 11:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyTSi
No changes - at 115k now and the truck is still running strong with basically the DPS towing kit, a DPS Arctic air intake and an Edge tuner.

Still able to tow a significant load without worrying about EGTs
This combination gives plenty of towing grunt so I have no reason to add injectors/pump/lift pumps etc.
A trans fluid flush improved the shudder but I suspect it just postponed the inevitable!
I expected the transmission to give up by now, I'm sure driving style has a huge role in transmission longevity.
No leaks anywhere - pretty happy with the fit and finish on the kit.

Can't go wrong with this kit as long as it fits your goals.

John-
I am pretty much looking for the same thing as you were, being able to tow without staring at my egt's all the time. I already rebuilt my transmission and replaced my injectors so my truck is pretty solid. Every time I step on the pedal with much of a load the egts skyrocket. So I have the dps kit sitting on my bench ready to go on. The only thing I am afraid of is screaming turbo noise when I am pulling a car trailer up the pass. I hope this kit is as good to me as yours has been to you!

Quick Reply: DPS Twin towing kit install/review