Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/)
-   -   Truck build, thoughts opinions and insults. (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/131199-truck-build-thoughts-opinions-insults.html)

Iceman755 07-29-2016 11:27 AM

Truck build, thoughts opinions and insults.

So, truck needed new injectors, time to build it. Several things I need to just get on paper and get opinions on.
03 5.9l cr 6spd truck. 267k 90% DD 10% medium towing. Have edge Cs tuner

Plan is:
AD 150
Stock cp3 for now
Industrial injection 125hp sticks
Arp425 head studs
New feed tubes
Some kind of manifold (maybe?)
Bd super b special turbo.
Afe cold air
Clutch as soon as I find the breaking point
Maybe smarty s06 if edge isn't enough.

Things to keep in mind here, just upgrading everything while I'm in there so I can get some more life out of the truck. I'd like to make the most power I can without getting crazy (read twin turbos super duper injectors and cp3s)

Things I'm concerned with:
Industrial injectors were a good deal, but I'm reading some bad stuff here and there, is there a better/ more effective set of injectors? I've heard these II are smoky, lack power and not balanced very well??
Was reccommended s&s injectors by two builders I've spoken with,anybody used em?

What will be a good turbo to pair with those injectors that will spool reasonably well and still make good power?

Assuming I stay with the II injectors and they are "smoky" can I just go to twins and clean that up and make power with em? An s480 with the bd special should pair well I think.

I'd appreciate all opinions, ideas, and help.

Jet A Fuel 07-29-2016 11:53 AM

I would get the Air dog 2 (Adjustable regulator built in) so you can adjust the Fuel pressure no sense in forcing 15-17 PSI at the CP3 IMO.
I have heard from some post that the CR injectors that are overhauled are not good. i wonder if buying a set of new bosch and doing nozzles is an option.
Either way have them pop checked and flowed to check them before installing IMO.
I am not an injector guy and have only done the mechanical injectors so the electrics are new to me.

Sounds like a great combination it should push 400 hp easy.

CumminsCoalRoller24/7 07-30-2016 10:18 AM

Looks like a good list of upgrades- I was in a similar boat to you just a few less miles with 230k on the odo- injectors I did new DAP- Bosch 100hp sticks - jkidd from the forum here can help with price- xenergy was the other ones that were runner up- I would go with either of those. Save your money and don't get new feed tubes- they will send enough fuel. Spend the money on injectors and with upgraded filtration from AD you'll have the peace of mind they will last a longg time. - rest of my setup is in my sig which is similar to what your list is- my EFI tuner advised with my setup with a trans to put it on the ground would put 500 on the ground. I would imagine with a smarty tune you'd be in the same vacinity

11B/11C 07-31-2016 02:23 AM

i have heard good things about S&S injectors, but i would go with BMS or exergy. DO get new feed tubes, they should be replaced when replacing injectors. as far as tuning, the best is HPT, next best is a UDC. they are both custom tunes and much better then a box tune. as far as injectors being smokey, tuning plays a big roll in that. thats one reason why you should get custom tuning, preferably HPT. you will get more turbo lag with the special b vs a stocker s475 compound set up. the stocker s475 is a common compound set up and it will be better for towing and daily driving then the super b. i would get the HE351 and put it over the s475. if you have a goal of what you are looking to get out of the truck, that will help guide you. i have the HE351 over an s475 with 50 HP BMS injectors and i dyno at 621 HP. stock CP3 with EFI live. i have the southbend SDD-3250 clutch and it holds. so what kinda power are you looking for?

Iceman755 07-31-2016 12:59 PM

Well I was recommended a stainless diesel 63/68/14 this weekend as well. I'd like to stay with a single at this time just because I don't want to convert it all, I know good tuning is where it's at with these, I'd like to be around 600hp when I'm done, would like to stay single turbo and moderate tuning

11B/11C 07-31-2016 03:42 PM

I would get at least a 64 if you're wanting to get around 600HP. I personally would hate to have a 64 on a daily diver, hell i hated my 63/65.

Iceman755 07-31-2016 04:24 PM

How laggy was that 63? I don't want to have to keep it tuned all the time to run it . Would be nice to keep it around a 70hp DD tune

11B/11C 07-31-2016 06:22 PM

It would really light up till around 2500 RPM's. I know it was getting fuel to get the turbo going, but maybe a little better tuning would have helped.

Iceman755 07-31-2016 07:15 PM

It would not light until 2500? Or stayed till 25?

11B/11C 07-31-2016 07:42 PM

It would make boost before 2500 RPM's, but not like the stock turbo would. The stock turbo is the fastest spooling turbo