Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/)
-   -   Oil Pan Seep not leak (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/130314-oil-pan-seep-not-leak.html)

CumminsCoalRoller24/7 04-14-2016 09:43 PM

Oil Pan Seep not leak

Been keeping an eye on oil at the front of my oil pan. Haven't found a drop on the driveway but have it coming onto the bolts at the front of the pan. I have been watching oil on bell housing of tranny as well and found I have some oil on that back bolts just like the front. After looking even closer it looks like there are several bolts the whole way around the pan that have a coating of oil on the head of them. It looks like it is almost seeping the entire outside of the pan. I have 220xxx - Can anyone confirm torque specs of 18ft lbs and is there a pattern or best way to tight/retorque the whole pan? I am hoping it needs to be retorqued, I have a hard time believing the whole gasket would be seeping at once- but I have heard of crazier things!

Just-Another-Dieselguy 04-14-2016 11:39 PM

I would personally go more that 18ft/lbs, more in the 35 range, I will confirm the torque spec in a few of you would like. :tu:

dangerous1965 04-15-2016 07:26 AM

Sounds like front and rear main seals are leaking!

Just-Another-Dieselguy 04-15-2016 11:51 PM

The correct torque spec is technically 130in/lbs. which equates to 10.8333 ft/lbs. doesn't seem right enough IMO.:nope:

CumminsCoalRoller24/7 04-16-2016 08:49 PM

Thanks for info- quick update, I got under and cleaned everything really well - there wasn't as much "seeping" as it seemed. At the front looks like is may be coming from behind the dampener and crawling onto the front pan bolts. At the rear, I pulled the plate and peeked in tranny, there wasn't any fresh oil in there, some baked on the plate but nothing from up under inside. There was one bolt on the pan against the tranny that was noticeably loose. I think that's the oil that was showing on the plate since there's no gasket there. I just went around pan and cranked them snug. Not sure what tq spec. So here's the some more info-the tranny return line has been leaking and spraying some ATF under as well as having a mess coming from the blow by tube before replacing sticks a couple thousand miles ago. Fingers crossed I get the new return line on and no more mess Toward the rear. I think the return line and prior blow by mess combined made it look worse than it is. My main concern now is Oil from behind dampner is potentially crank case seal? More research/update to come after I do some driving

dangerous1965 04-19-2016 10:20 PM

Be glad that tranny line didn't really spray because that once left me 50 miles away from home! No tranny fluid no line 250. tow damnit!

CumminsCoalRoller24/7 04-22-2016 11:32 PM

Yea- I just got the new one in today thanks to your help on previous post! Lost about 1 quart of fluid. Fluid was dark so I'll be getting a filter change, band adjustment, and pan dropped next week! Been about 60k since last service- and it still looked dry under there :tu: