Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/)
-   -   Turbo opinions (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/127830-turbo-opinions.html)

Jmrobinson 08-22-2015 12:42 AM

Turbo opinions

Man it seems like I'm the only person that posts anything on the CR forum

Anyways I'm thinking about running a new turbo on the goat. Don't know if I just want an upgraded single or if twins would be better. I race anyone I can whenever I can but it's not a drag pickup. I still use it to haul hay regularly and either it or my corvette is my daily driver. Just trying to get opinions on what would be best for a happy medium and keep egt's to a minimum. Here in the Oklahoma panhandle people run chips and that's about it I'm looking for a real upgrade. Also would a cp3 upgrade be necessary if I did this? I was looking at II's bag of bolts and wondering if it's worth it and I also plan on getting a smarty s06 or ssr to go along with this I just want all the opinions I can get because I'm not around people that do real diesel modifications

dangerous1965 08-22-2015 04:29 PM

If you don't tow heavy a silver 64 would be good or comparable a set of 60hp sticks a 60% over CP3 or a bag of parts if funds are tight. and an SSR you'll be having fun and smoking your vette!

Jmrobinson 08-22-2015 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by dangerous1965 (Post 1097771)
If you don't tow heavy a silver 64 would be good or comparable a set of 60hp sticks a 60% over CP3 or a bag of parts if funds are tight. and an SSR you'll be having fun and smoking your vette!

The heaviest I ever pull is usually around 10-11 tons at one time but that's about max unless I get a bigger trailer then I'd be around 13 tons max. But I don't pull through Hills being in the panhandle its all flat and never more than 60 miles pulling a big load. Are there any other products similar to the bag of parts? Other kits that are around a 20% increase because I don't have the money for an actual upgraded cp3. And more info on the silver 64 please how much boost its it capable of and drivability and what it is compared to the silver 62 and 66

Jmrobinson 08-22-2015 11:18 PM

And I've been thinking about a veined turbo for the quick spool up. Would this be a good idea or do they give problems? I don't know about them

mykaos 08-30-2015 02:53 PM

Set of compounds and be done. There are plenty of options all over the $$ spectrum. You wont beat the drive-ability and EGT control. Towing is a whole new driving experience :ok1:. CP3 upgrade need will depend on the current health of your CP3. My stock CP3 maintains 23,000 psi + w/ 45% nozzles. Yes, it drove amazing w/ stock nozzles / injectors, I just wanted more :tu:.

11B/11C 09-10-2015 04:09 AM

i personally would waste my money on another turbo because i like a fast spooling turbo and the stock turbo is the fastest spooling. i would just go with compounds. this is a great write and it might help make up your mind.
http://www.calibratedpower.com/Cummi...20Shootout.pdf

Jmrobinson 09-10-2015 11:28 PM

So would buying the compound kit to run the Aurora s3000 with stock he341 be much better than running a single? More capability? Let egt's? I like looking stock under the hood and a compound setup takes a lot of room but if it's just way better screw it I'll show it off

11B/11C 09-11-2015 12:30 AM

the aurora 3000 and he351 are very similar turbos. there are differences in size and performance, but not much different. you want to run a bigger turbo with the stocker. the s475 is a very popular turbo to run with the stocker and it will keep your egt's down and more capability for adding things like bigger injectors and a programmer to get more hp. i personally am gonna run the stocker with the s475. it will give me faster spool then replacing the stocker with a bigger turbo and i want faster spool over more hp. i think with this kit and my upgrades i will hit 600 or more hp.