Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/)
-   -   Lowrider (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/12684-lowrider.html)

Patrick@DPP 05-15-2008 08:34 PM

Lowrider

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Quadcab, Shortbed, 5.9L cummins, Automatic. How low can I get this thing and keep the 4x4 still working properly? I have been saying for months that I'm gonna lift this one 8 inches, but maybe I will go the other dirrection. Has anyone done it? Any pictures or advice?

Thanks in advance.

Patrick

MRaynor 05-15-2008 09:57 PM

I say just go with the lift, unless you plan on doing a LOT of racing. Just my opinion though.
I do know of one that is dropped though, but nothing extreme and he had no problems that I know of. Maybe 2 - 3 inch drop.

Patrick@DPP 05-16-2008 11:14 AM

I'm just thinking "be different". I was thinking take out the rear blocks, and use 2wd coils in the front. Wonder what that would give me? Probably just look like a 2wd.

Johnny Cetane 05-16-2008 11:32 AM

I believe Pete has lowered his a bit and I know HOTMOPAR has his lowered. Yanking the blocks out of the rear would get you a couple inches. The 2WD coils would probably be too short. I think 4x4 1/2 tons coils may be too soft.

Benjamin 05-16-2008 01:22 PM

if somene has the measurements of the stock 4x4 coil length non compressed i can get you the 2wd spring height non compressed as mine are sitting by the back door. they are mighty short though.....

MotorOilMcCall 05-16-2008 03:48 PM

You do realize all your driveline angles will be screwed up, and you'll probably need shorter driveshafts if you lower it right? If you lift it more than a few inches your gonna have the same problems. If it were me I'd lift it, lowriders never blew my dress up if you know what I mean.

RTL Garage 05-16-2008 03:57 PM

2wd Springs Would No Doubt Be To Soft & Would Create Issues Especially Driving.

Also You Would Have To See How Well The Driveshafts Would "Tuck" Into The Belly, & They Would 100% Have To Be Shortened.

IMO - If You Are Going To Drop It, Bagging It Front And Rear Would Be The Way To Go.

HOTMOPR 05-16-2008 05:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I dropped mine 4 1/2 in the rear, just by removing the blocks and haveing new u-bolts made. I tried 1/2 ton coils up front and it was fine for about 6 months then they started to sag eventually down to the bumpers. So I am running the stock springs with 1 1/2 coils cut out. This lowered the front 4 1/2 inches as well. I havent ran into any problems. Probably could shorten the driveshaft about a 1" but I havent. I usually keep air in the rear bags It wont bottom out unless it hits a big bump.. My truck stays on the pavement.

BEFORE..
Attachment 57715

AFTER..
Attachment 57716

slowtowpig 05-16-2008 08:01 PM

ive lowered many truck and cars, and put air ride on just as many. cutting your springs is a good cheap way to get drop no matter wat people say. just wat ever you do dont heat them to get it lowered. ive installed air ride on two duallys, both where tow pigs and haul great and handled kickass and ride awesome.

Patrick@DPP 05-18-2008 08:19 PM

Thanks guys. I will take all into consideration. I may hit the drag strip a few times a year, and I never did like sled pulling. I'm really just wanting to make my daily driver turn EVERY head. Expecially when Its parked in front of the shop. I have a guy thats very good a driveshafts. He makes all the shafts for our puller. I was originally going to lift it 8 inches and all that crap, but 37" rubber is expensive even at my cost. Then again to lower it like HOTMOPAR and buy 20" wheels and rubber for them wont be very cheap either. I stack thru the hood would draw attention I bet. Too bad its illegal in pa lol. I hate looking like every other truck in the crowd. I've lifted every truck I've owned, but not 8" hmmm. Summer will be over before I decide.