5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

newbe looking for help, 03 dodge no start

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 09:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbe looking for help, 03 dodge no start

Ran across many post with same problem as me. 03 dodge only starts after being plugged in. Runs great and starts the rest of the day. Can't believe I need $3000+ for new injectors. .can use any help in the right direction ..mtvivan

Old 12-10-2014, 11:54 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you sure you arent gelling up without being plugged in? how cold is it where you are?
any mods to the truck?
whens the last time it was serviced / fuel filter changed?

Old 12-11-2014, 11:29 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

start with the easy stuff! dont go into it assuming you need injectors, especially if it runs fine once it does start! check all of your grounds/connections, like everywhere. happen to have a fuel pressure gauge before/after the cp3? is it cranking slow? does it have the heater grid still installed?

Old 12-15-2014, 08:23 AM

Hello There, And thank you for the reply. I've had truck in two different shops, they checked the fuel filters, tested for fuel pressure, battery's good and cranking like a house of fire. But no fire up, unless plugged in for anywhere between 15min-1hour. Depending on how cold it is seams to make a difference. 37*-50* being the coldest. After reading many different post, I'm beginning to believe I do have 1 or 2 injectors that are loosing fuel pressure overnight. Something to do with the injectors on 03-04 models. Now if I can find that post again I'll print it and try to save me some money. Thanks again for the reply, this site has been very helpful. mike

Old 12-18-2014, 08:52 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

did they do an injector test?

Old 12-22-2014, 10:37 AM

Hello, and thanks for reply. The first shop checked fuel filters and tested for fuel pressure. The dealership at dodge did the same and tighten the injectors, witch they said the next morning fired right up in 3 seconds, the next day fired in 6 seconds, but either time would not restart. They believe I have one or two bad injectors, recommended to replace all injector, cost $3500-$5000, this info only cost me $540. The real pisser was when I went to pick it up it wouldn't start at all. Until they plugged it in for 20minutes. And like before would run fine and start fine the rest of the day. I'm still hoping for a simple fix, seeing how this all started after I had a valve cover gasket leak fixed (twice) and truck engine department was pressure washed. ????

Old 12-22-2014, 10:40 AM

As far as doing the injector test where they pull them out and test for $80 each, have not done that test.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:30 AM
Diesel Fan

have you had the rail pressure checked? there is a sensor on the rail as well on the back of the CP3 pump. i had the same issue with my 03 ended up being the sensor on the back of the CP3 pump that controls the rail pressure. we ended up changing all the injectors twice never fixed the problem. if i remember right the rail pressure will be higher during start up. so the pressure may be right while its running but not during start up. my truck also started after being plugged in or ether.. it would start fine the rest of the day given it didnt sit for more than 6 hours in 15° to 20° weather.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:26 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by mtvivan
As far as doing the injector test where they pull them out and test for $80 each, have not done that test.
$80 each is about 3x more than what we charge for running injectors on our low pressure and high pressure test bench.

you can get brand new injectors for less than that they are charging.

The following users liked this post:
mtvivan (01-02-2015)
Old 12-29-2014, 10:36 AM

Hello 93cummins12v, And thanks for that info. I will be looking into the CP3 pump, it sounds like the crazy gremlin I've been looking for. The truck runs to good once started, that its hard to believe I need new injectors. I will let you know if this the problem. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: newbe looking for help, 03 dodge no start