5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Harmonic balance or crank pulley fell off, REALLY

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 01:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harmonic balance or crank pulley fell off, REALLY

2005 cummins manual tranny bought new 125,000 miles truck has been starting to nickle and dime me actually 100 dollars here and 500 there.
Right off I am no mechanic but can fix some things if not over my head.
This weekend I was pulling my 6K pound enclosed trailer down the interstate in 90 degree weather, truck was running like a dream! The cummins just purring, getting on down the road no problems at 80 mph sweet drive when all the sudden I made a lane change anad Ihd no power steering, temp pegged, motor was running but all esle dead! No noise or anything what the heck just happend.
Got out lefted the hood, little anti freeze boiling over lookd around and notice something in my fan shroad, it was my trigger wheel, looked where I knew it belonged but no crank pulley either! WOW how did that happen, that sucks.
So I called a tow took like 2 hours, drove it about 300 yards after it cooled down (started right up sounded fine) to a pull off to get off the highway, temp gage didn;t move doing that.
Crawled underneither looks like 4 bolts hold the parts on, three bolts appear to be missing and one broke with about 1/2 inch sticking out, hope to be ablet o get it out with a vise grip.
So the questions are:
Anyone have any photos of what I need to buy to fix this, or how new parts go on, what size bolts do I need.
Is there only the crank pulley and the trigger wheel, the trigger wheel looks ok to me.
Did I possibly hurt anything by getting that hot for a short period of time?
What about timing, when I put the new parts on do I need to do anything for timing.
Any words of wisdom or advice will be deeply apprciated. Look like its easy to put a new one on if all goes well, dealer wants way to much and whatever else they want to charge me for.
I do not see anyother damage to anything, where might I look that I am not?
Thanks
TJ

Old 08-20-2013, 10:35 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Hopefully you can find some used parts check e-bay! Really sucks that someone didn't tighten the bolts! Google search a picture of the damper assembly. Read this link!
TDR 73: It's Time to Check Your Cummins Harmonic Damper

The following users liked this post:
THentge (08-20-2013)