5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

electrical issue's

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 02:29 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical issue's

Ok so after having installed my gauges into my truck (egt, tran, and boost) I ran across two electrical issue's in which everything seems in working order from top to bottom, as far as wiring is concerned.

My windshield wiper controls work when they want to i.e it wont work until I max it out, then sometimes if I get it on low settings it will make it wipe twice...then return to a normal intermittent status. Mind of its own

Next issue is my overhead dome lights work in the opposite way they should i.e when I open my door I can turn them on and off. Then if I have my door closed it wont activate period.

BRAIN IS FRACKED.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:46 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

Sounds like a tipm/bcm issue.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Old 05-30-2013, 05:19 PM
Diesel Fan

a what sorry not good with acronyms

Old 05-30-2013, 05:52 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ri0tMaker
a what sorry not good with acronyms
Totally integrated power module (05 and up) or body control module (more likely culprit) . You'll need a shop to take a look and determine where the issue lies, it could be switch related, module related or load related (the device which is malfunctioning.) The best way to achieve this would be a scan tool which allows you to see body control inputs & outputs. From here conventional dvom/scope testing can be used to complete final testing which will confirm data retrieved from the module and lastly component failure verification.
This is typically a diagnosis or repair performed by a shop and typically not recommended for a diy'er. That's simply because failure verification requires expensive equipment. Trying it without is nothing short of a calculated guess .
My reason for calling module or control systems and not switch or load (component) failure is the involvement. Occasionally you'll have a call in with a similar problem, which turns out to be operator error, in which the customer doesn't understand the operation of a switch or the way the system "operates".

Old 05-30-2013, 11:53 PM
Diesel Fan

Ah I see..ya these switches are very easy to use...least id hope people out there would understand . I do have a 2004 dodge ram is there any difference from the 05 and up 24V common rails wiring?

Old 05-31-2013, 07:07 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

Originally Posted by mysterync
Totally integrated power module (05 and up) or body control module (more likely culprit) . You'll need a shop to take a look and determine where the issue lies, it could be switch related, module related or load related (the device which is malfunctioning.) The best way to achieve this would be a scan tool which allows you to see body control inputs & outputs. From here conventional dvom/scope testing can be used to complete final testing which will confirm data retrieved from the module and lastly component failure verification.
This is typically a diagnosis or repair performed by a shop and typically not recommended for a diy'er. That's simply because failure verification requires expensive equipment. Trying it without is nothing short of a calculated guess .
My reason for calling module or control systems and not switch or load (component) failure is the involvement OF MULTIPLE COMPONENTS.. Occasionally you'll have a call in with a similar problem, which turns out to be operator error, in which the customer doesn't understand the operation of a switch or the way the system "operates".

fixed my original post.
The wiring is different and the 04 uses a front control module (I think that is what its called) which mounts to the power distribution center.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:32 PM
Diesel Fan

Ah so basically these two items could be connected to this possibly? Im not a great person at wiring honestly.