Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/)
-   -   intermitent ticking in 04.5 cummins help please. (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/112077-intermitent-ticking-04-5-cummins-help-please.html)

5.9inline2008 05-09-2013 11:25 PM

intermitent ticking in 04.5 cummins help please.

hey guys

I have a 2004.5 cummins i bought a few months ago and ever sence the truck has had a slight intermittent tick that randomly comes and goes once the truck is warmed up good. Aside from the noise the truck has plenty of power and runs smooth. Also if you rev the truck up only 100 to 200 rpm the soise faids away. The truck is bone stock and has 120k miles on it. I have had my truck to many local mechanics and none of them have helped. Some of the mechanics told me it was normal for these trucks and that they simply clatered like that, once engine warmed up. Also had a guy tell me the truck had a bad lifter. Then I had one almost guarentee me the noise was bad injectors, so i took a gamble and went out like a dumby and replaced every single injector, to find that 6 hrs and 2000+ dollars later it had fixed nothing.

Sooo at this point i am lost, I have no where else to turn but you guys, because evidently no one out my way knows what the heck they are talking abought lol. Any help woul be greatly appreciated.

BBD Tech Support 05-10-2013 04:41 AM

:pca1:
Sorry I can't help without hearing in person. Suck about $2000 in injectors

dangerous1965 05-10-2013 08:22 AM

Put a 2 micron filter inline before the CP3 to make them last! Don't worry about the noise it is a bunch of possible things even oil type and filter type could make it happen.
You can run the valves wouldn't hurt probably never been done! I would say it was a lifter since it goes away when warmed up! Now go get a Smarty and tune it!

5.9inline2008 05-11-2013 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by dangerous1965 (Post 1006885)
Put a 2 micron filter inline before the CP3 to make them last! Don't worry about the noise it is a bunch of possible things even oil type and filter type could make it happen.
You can run the valves wouldn't hurt probably never been done! I would say it was a lifter since it goes away when warmed up! Now go get a Smarty and tune it!

yea as far as the smarty, its in the plans, along with some other goodies but if this were a lifter problem would it be a typical noise when cold or warm and would it be this random. because the noise dosent start till the truck warms up all the way.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by BBD Tech Support (Post 1006846)
:pca1:
Sorry I can't help without hearing in person. Suck about $2000 in injectors

i can post a video later if that would help?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

heres he vid of my truck.

dangerous1965 05-11-2013 06:00 PM

That is very metallic sounding I wonder if you have a loose valve seat??! Did you want to pull the head for any reason? I hope I'm wrong others will give opinions but if you drop that valve then you have to rebuild the whole thing! Right now if you pull the head just the head will need repair. Run it with the valve cover off use a hose to listen to each cylinder you will really hear it thru the hose! Also see if any of the valves sit higher or lower than the rest.

5.9inline2008 05-11-2013 07:27 PM

Well i hope its not the head either, however it dosent realy make sence that it would be the head being that its so speratic and unpredictable pluss the sound goes away with more rpm. I would think if it were the head or any thing other than lifter the sound would get worse with mor rpm?

dangerous1965 05-11-2013 11:48 PM

Do the test we'll go from there!