Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/)
-   -   Seriously need advice burning engine on new truck (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/108139-seriously-need-advice-burning-engine-new-truck.html)

EliteInfidel 01-22-2013 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by wristpin (Post 981712)
INFIDEL(me too)---Are you sure you are not smelling the crank case vent from under the engine?-??????????????????????
-My 04 sure stinks at times from the draft tube(CCV) .
The white smoke hopefully as previously posted is due to a dirty fuel filtet(I HOPE) and not a more serious problem.
Do NOT trust what a stealership says.
Best of luck(And we all need that) to you.:tu:

How would I know it t be the crank case vent? Just sticky nose under there? Its a very noticeable smell.

RanchhandTCR 01-22-2013 10:04 PM

Hmm, Im not 100 percent sure where the blow by hose is either up front of the engine or on the driver side. but Ive never had blow by smell like burnt rubber, Mine smells like burnt oil everytime I change the oil..

EliteInfidel 01-23-2013 03:31 AM

Ok dudes here we go. I found the location of where the smell is coming from!!!I pulled up tonight and decided to open the hood with a flashlight and see if I can see smoke in the bright light. Chased the smoke trail coming from the crankcase breather tube I assume is what it is?. It is on drivers side next to engine block and points straight down. WTF is it and why is it stinking? It is blowing smoke. I am going to the dealer tomorrow to show them some video I took and pics. Guys please tell me what it might be so I am armed and dont get railed by them. I am hoping they fix it since they sold i to me this way but who knows. They will prob give it some BS excuse so they dont have to fix anything. I hope ther is no long term damage done here too..... Super bummed right now

RanchhandTCR 01-23-2013 08:30 AM

Slow down a bit my friend.... Having some smoke is normal from the crank case breather. If you insist on going to the dealer first ask them what kind of oil did they put it and next any additives? My truck everytime I change the oil it smells like burnt oil for 500 miles.

BUT if its excessive, if you breather tube also seems to be you other exhaust you may have an issue.

dangerous1965 01-23-2013 08:42 AM

Take the oik fill cap off and just lay it on the hole. Does it jump around? Can you see or feel pressure coming from the hole? If so you more than likely have broken rings! It will cause the smoke too but a bad injector will cause white smoke also! I hope you have warranty on it! Cost is about 6 grand to fix!

wristpin 01-23-2013 12:42 PM

What Ranchhand said- after all it is a VENT tube
Excessive blowby is another story.
source of white smoke is a different issue

EliteInfidel 01-23-2013 08:33 PM

I took the truck to the dealer today. I showed them the video I took last night of the breather tube smoking and the smoke under the truck. It was showing prominent at night wit my maglight enhancing he smoke. They grab the lead diesel mechanic and the service manager to watch the vid. They acknowledged and said to leave it with them on Tue next week. I did the oil cap test in front of them. Twas hopping around a little bit. There was white smoke puffing out. I did buy a powertrain warrantyfor one year. It only covers the insane of motor and transmission. I just wanted a reliable truck I'm super bummed now this truck will be molested and god knows what else it needs now.

dangerous1965 01-23-2013 09:36 PM

I get a gold star! Don't be bummed but do get those cool add on parts like head studs! A cam and valve springs for sure and Maybe a turbo and ask if they will install them when they put the motor back together!!! Work a deal with the mechanic on the side if they say NO WAY!
Have the injectors tested for sure! Rear freeze plug block off plate would be good too!
They may opt for a crate motor in that case ask if they will sell you the core! I'll buy it!

RanchhandTCR 01-23-2013 09:52 PM

I think he just wants a good reliable work truck.. But see what the dealer will do, if you got a powertrain warranty I would think it would cover engine issues also. the realy only issue on those year of cummins is the position of the piston rings they are prone to break or premature wear.

If you want the cool add on's expect a longer down time. Personally they are neccesary unless you want your truck to haul ass and break more often and want to do a Tractor Trailers job with a light duty truck... Keep us posted and we will help you the best of our abilites.

EliteInfidel 01-24-2013 07:51 PM

Thank you so much for all your advise. I think that I wouldnt have been able to find the issue unless you pointed out the breather tube. My 3500 is my bread and butter. I want it as reliable as possible and would love it to get a million miles. Its a Laramie and is just a dream truck for me. The only mods i would ever do are ones that would make it more reliable and get better MPG. I dont haul ass or tow anything above 14 thousand pounds so I dont need the power to go up much. And 14 is rare thats a dump trailer loaded at the end of a project. I live in LA so theres lots of commuting. I dont want to blow crazy black smoke or get stacks, not that theres anything wrong with that. I will be putting on air bags and new heavy duty shocks, and possibly a 2" spacer lift on the front so I dont scrape on steep driveways and crap on job sites which I have already. The front of these 2wds are really low for some reason. I dont need 4wd I live in LA and the limited slip and 4:10 is more then adequate. I picked up 3 scoops of sand and 50/50 mix (concrete) and had to put it in the bed because the dump trailer was full and i was bottoming out in th rear so I def need to beef up the rear and whole suspensio. Thats a sq yard and a half so aprox 3500 pds in the bed. I work my trucks hard lol. BTW this is my daily driver. I will be getting a headache rack and will be mounting aux lights on the rear and a couple in the front. I could use them on those long days that go into the night so i might need to beef up the elec as well.