5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Airdog original or Airdog II??

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 02:57 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Airdog original or Airdog II??

Hey guys let me just start by saying that I have searched around and I cant find the information I am looking for on the other threads or even other forums. I have talked to a few of the people I know that drag race and sled pull professionally and they like the Airdog brand better than FASS, but I cant get an agreement on which Airdog system is more reliable and more efficient. I have also heard a lot about 1/4 tank issues with the original and flow problems with AD2. So, my question is which one do you guys like better and why, by the way my sig is up to date. I am looking to make a purchase in the next few weeks and I want to do it right the first time. Thanks in advance for helping a newbie

Old 11-23-2012, 03:43 PM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

1/4 tank issues typically arise from having a Draw Straw I. Nothing more than 1/2" stainless pipe dropping into the tank. No fuel basket to hold a reservoir during cornering and hard acceleration/deceleration.

Both pumps are really good, FASS is typically bigger and noisier, but still a very good system. Personally, I don't think the AirDog2 is that much better than the original. If it was, why would they offer the original?

Old 11-24-2012, 05:37 PM
Diesel Fan

Yeah that is what I thought too, if the original was obsolete why would they still offer it, so I am glad we are on the same page in that aspect. Now about that draw straw.. I have heard people say they have a draw straw mod, which would be what and for what? Is there anyway to fix those 1/4 tank issues, because I dont want any problems with air in my lines or the truck shutting off, not that I run my truck empty, but sometimes it does drop a hair below 1/4 tank before I can reach the fuel station. The Airdog 2 system claims to have solved the 1/4 issues is there any fact to that claim?

Old 11-24-2012, 07:09 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The AirDog 2 uses the existing in tank fuel module, with a few mods done to it. This is what fixes the 1/4 tank issue. I am running the AD2 165. It has an adjustable output pressure from the fuel pump to your CP3 pump. I have been running it for 2 years without an issue. I've heard of a draw staw mod, but it all depends on what you are willing to do or afford.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:05 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I have heard a lot of people having problems with the electric pump in the AD2 recently. Personally I would use an Aeromotive A1000 fuel pump with some type of water separator/ good filter setup and also get a fuel sump for it too. The fuel sump will get rid of all 1/4 tank issues and help the pump last longer.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:40 PM
Diesel Fan

Ecjammer, did you notice any differences in your rail pressure after the install? Have you ever ran the tank right at or maybe just below 1/4 tank with the AD2? Any mileage or power gains like they claim?

Joshbaker, I have heard of people running those kinds of setups before, but I dont really want the trouble of having to build my own and work all the bugs out like some friends of mine have had to do in the past, which is why I was looking at a pump system already made for my truck thanks for the input tho

Old 11-25-2012, 12:28 PM
Diesel Fan

J rod426,
Haven't checked rail pressuer. i've run the tank to the warning light with no issues. When I installed it, I had about 5k on new factory injectors, and installed the edge with attitude at the same time. I've seen better performance, and milage. I can't say for sure about the gains with just the AD2. When I go to stock on the Edge, I still have better performance and milage than with the stock pick-up. The only issue that i have with the AD2 is that I've replaced the water seperator every spring, and there is no warning for excessive water in the seperator. I drain it every/every other tank full, but I think that it is just the comfort of having an idiot light. It all comes down to what you want to do, I've read a lot of the posts and gone to all the sites, I just preferred the AD2. Great installation instructions, take your time. The biggest problem was the fuel module in tank, kinda a pain in the butt.

Old 11-25-2012, 01:41 PM
Diesel Fan

Ok cool that sounds good. Is the water separator hard to change? Or expensive? Do you drain the water regularly and still have to replace the separator every spring? So when the separator goes out it illuminates the CEL light? Sorry for all the questions man I just want to make sure I understand what your saying

Old 11-25-2012, 09:37 PM
Diesel Fan

The water seperator is easy to change. It is prior to the fuel filter. They are both connected under the fuel pump. The fuel filter runs 25 bucks and so does the water seperator. I drain everything regularly, we had a bad cold snap last year, and I wasn't able to drain anything for about 2 weeks, so my seperator guts cracked. The outter housing was fine, just cracked the innerds. My seperator does not illuminate the CEL light, I just keep an eye on it. The filter and seperator are canister types, and are easily accessable (depends where you mount the assembly). If you go to the Air Dog site, you can download an installation instruction for free, then it will clarify the install and fuel module modification.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:59 AM
Diesel Fan

I looked up the install instructions and I see what you mean about the water separator and yeah it looks easy to access and pretty inexpensive to change even if it is once a year. Hopefully I will get more life out of one, because I live in FL and our cold snaps are usually short and not much under 30deg at coldest. Thanks for all the help man I really appreciate it, I should have my system ordered in the next week or so. I'll check in after the install with an update on any gains I see.

Quick Reply: Airdog original or Airdog II??