Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/)
-   -   Odometer/ computer help (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/105179-odometer-computer-help.html)

iam4x4 11-12-2012 11:19 PM

Odometer/ computer help

Hey guys I'm looking to build a race/street truck with 700 plus hp. Haven't really decided on which year to look for either the 03-04.5 or the 05-07. Anyways I'm looking to buy pretty much a rolling chassis or I found a few trucks that are cheap and are a good start that have half a million km on them. Is there a way to reset te odometer? No I'm not trying to scam some poor guy in the future, keep in mind I'm doing the whole drivetrain body and interior. Will it just reset when I replace the stock computer?

Diesel Addict101 11-12-2012 11:49 PM

Well I tell you what im sure theres a way after all it is electronic... Regardless I wouldnt even think about resetting that odometer its a serious crime. The thing is replacing the engine doesnt even give you the right to reset it. It would have to be re-title as a new vehicle and that means to be practicly built from scratch. You got to remember the odometer doesnt just track the engine but all the wear and tear on the suspension, drivetrain, and body etc.. Its a pretty hefty crime to dial back odometers. Its considered fraud. There might be loopholes as far as if its a salvage title or something of the sort but I would check into that before you do any tampering.

iam4x4 11-12-2012 11:54 PM

Okay thanks. Also keep in mind I'm pretty much going to end up building the whole truck, like suspension, frame redone, I want this truck to be a show truck as well to be as much of a new truck as possible

Diesel Addict101 11-13-2012 12:12 AM

At that point in time when you get there your gonna have to figure things out with possibly the DMV to see what the jurisdictions are on resetting an odometer im sure there are some requirements that need to be met. Just tread carefully man, could get expensive if you dont play smart.

iam4x4 11-13-2012 12:14 AM

Haha it's gonna be expensive no matter what. And yeah man I'm gonna head down and ask.

Diesel Addict101 11-13-2012 12:23 AM

Yeah but if your doing it on the side usually you tend to fall in love with project trucks like that. I know a guy in my area who built up an 05 that was totalled in the end he has that thing as a daily driver and a pull truck hes got it pushin 1085hp. Needless to say he has a good job. But he loves that truck. Hell you might not even want to sell that truck lol.

iam4x4 11-13-2012 12:30 AM

Haha very true, what's your buddy for a living and what did he do for his 1085 hp? I had a 2003 I bought and transmission blew on the way home me and a couple highschool buddies attempted to rebuild it. The build went okay then the front driveshaft ripper in half (yes the shaft right into 2 pieces, it needed up blowing the cooler lines off, cool/ heat exchanger and in turn destroyed the transmission. Eventually $12,000 later I finally got to drive it again lol babies it ever since

Diesel Addict101 11-13-2012 12:46 AM

This guy works construction. Industrial construction to be specific. Hes got over 15gs in the motor the only thing stock about it is the block. He told me hes had that thing apart so many times for a lower end rebuild. Regardless all the work hes done shows he can pull a fully loaded sled haha. It was awesome. But i would have to talk to him again on what specifically he has I know hes got injectors a fass a smarty its 6-speed hes got an intake on it meth injection head studs hes got every gauge you can think of on the inside and the list goes on lol...

iam4x4 11-13-2012 12:49 AM

That's awesome man. This will be the first Diesel engine I've ever built let alone a diesel performance build. I've built a few 350 and 383 gas engines but definitely looking forward to this build

Diesel Addict101 11-13-2012 01:12 AM

Yeah should be fun. Gonna definitely be costly though. If you plan on pulling the truck and all that then might as well build it to take that. Doesnt pay to build a stock motor and then try to throw a bunch of power at it just go all out.