5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Blue Smoke

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 02:39 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blue Smoke

First off Im not a mechanic but know this is the right place for this question.. Dealership diesel tech telling me my 2003 dodge 5.9 cummins 3500 consumed 2gallons of oil and blew its engine because of bad ring on cylinder #1 which caused blue smoke internally not visible thru converter and muffler. Is this even possible with no leak and no blow by?

Also stated consuming 2gallons of oil/ 10quarts over 6000mi interval is not uncommon with this situation?

Any advise appreciated this is beyond my level of understanding.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:42 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

So the engine blew up? Blow by would have been very evident! With a broken ring yes it will blow the oil out of the engine some will go through the exhaust So what is the question? Warranty is over, broken rings are common and do happen, repair is expensive if someone else is doing it!

Old 10-18-2012, 03:59 PM
Diesel Fan

The Specific question.....Is it possible to loose 2gallons/10quarts of oil with bad ring internally on cylindar #1 as dealer suggests with no noticable leak or blowby or is that BS?

Next question Dealer tech states blue smoke caused by this condition which burned the oil is not noticeable as it passes thru exhaust is this BS?

No warranty 238,000 but I take care of it always change oil on time new injectors lastly valves adjusted. Truck blew on Sunday it was 2 gallons low.

Dealership changed oil about 6,000 ago. It was due for change.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Lastly how the hell do I prove they f'd up? Or is it this situation I'm told possible?

Last edited by rjmroofing; 10-18-2012 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-19-2012, 08:37 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Yeah your out of luck with the dealer taking ownership!
Your first question answer is NO
Second question You would have to be looking for it Most trucks haze a bit if modded. I think that if you looked while driving you would see something but how often do you look at your exhaust? I'm aware of my haze but rarely look for an extended amount of time. Mostly at night when it's noticable in the rear cars headlights.
Blown motor is hard to understand though low on oil wouldn't blow it totally empty would but there is a gauge and idiot light! Very noticable!
Start looking for a motor if you can do the work five grand someone else doing it will be around 10 grand.

The following users liked this post:
rjmroofing (10-19-2012)
Old 10-19-2012, 08:57 AM
Diesel Fan

Right gagues and idiot light were fine! I OWN not checking it myself but I ASSUMED it would never ever burn 2/gal 10 quart without a gauge or light to notify and i took someones word at dealer it was a fuel knock. Thats on me...

I contacted a new shop/tech who says exactly what you said danger! It is technically possible and would have only seen hase and at night hes gonna do me a solid and tear her down and get to bottom of it and put in a re man I found. He believes leaking into turbo & getting hot and burning thru and a few other possibilities? But said same thing about smoke as you Dangerous.

i will have it looked at top to bottom from a good ole boy who works at cummins heavy kc plant. Then i will go after the snakes that turned me away when i was i need and could have done preventative on it. Thanks for all the help.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:28 PM
Diesel Fan
Default Finally answered

FYI,... better a late answer than never. Its been an expensive year now since my original post and questions. I appreciate everyones feedback. Recently, I Just settled a claim with an aftermarket fuel injector company which I purchased new injectors from for my old motor which damaged my motor beyond repair.

Just for information purposes, it was only after sending my newly installed injectors to a laboratory for bench testing to prove they were flawed..., According to BOSCH Corp, 70% of re man injectors in the marketplace are FLWAED. BEWARE!!

Turns out 4 of my 6 newly purchased re man injectors were stuck wide open dumping 17times the recommended levels of fuel in my cylinders burning up all the oil, rings,etc. then blowing the motor!! BEWARE of RE MAN's. BUY OEM BOSCH only!! Its worth the extra $$.

Hopefully, Maybe I can save someone else about $10,000 on a motor job.